Which $1200 purchase should I make???

well...my car is out of commission for a little while....went to swap the legs on my prochamber for my yearly inspection and ..... whoops....snapped one of the header studs off the passenger side....

Long story short....i'm tired of these shorty headers...they don't work well w/ my midpipe, and the gasket on the block is leaking badly....fixing the thing is gonna cost me nearly $500 @ the local mustang shop, but these are my options:

For $1200 I can get new long tubes and a midpipe installed....this will give me a guaranteed leak free exhaust and more power
BUT...
For $1250 I can get a used Cobra IRS shipped to my front door...this wouldn't even be an option, but my rear pinion has taken a turn for the worse and screams like hell when I let off the throttle

Thing that makes this all worse is....the only two things I've ever paid for someone (other than me) to put on my car were Headers & 4.10's

....now they both suck

• Sponsors (?)

Does the header installation cost of $1200 include MIL eliminators and/or tune? That is a pretty good deal for complete install of headers and midpipe if it includes everything.

No way in hell would I do the IRS swap personally :notnice: I do not suggest that...

Why not drill out the stud and put in a new one :shrug:

Longtubes would be good. Don't bother with the IRS inless the solid rear is COMPLETELY out the question on fixing (like mine was slightly bent supposedly, causing me to burn the insides of my tires like CRAZY, 1200miles on tires :nonono:). Do the install yourself if you can....saved me loads of money! And it's really not that hard, just time intensive (and if the car is already layed up...why not? lol).

I could drill out the stud....point is I'm fed up with the problems I've been having w/ my exhaust setup...had a guy do it on his spare time....no guarantees...now the headers are leaking at the block...and redoing the gasket is about as bad as the entire install....I don't have the time...but why waste 500$ do have somebody else fix it....when I could sell my headers and buy long tubes?...seems reasonable to me

-didn't ask the guy weather or not the price included tune...but $1200 was for BBK Ceramic long tubes, matching midpipe w/ cats, and install....I wasn't thinking about the O2's or the tune....but I wanted to do that when I added the intercooler

why swap to an IRS?? i thought the cobra owners were paying for a solid axle swap?? i would NEVER pay for a weaker rearend! if you really want IRS find a cobra owner and tell him you will swap flat out and he will prob be all over it!

I would just spend it at the nudey bar and let the car sit.... nah seriously.. get The LT's. you will love the extar sound you get and the power will be an added bonus. I would also never get an IRS, but then again I am a straight line guy.

I'm just glad to see that you aren't having issues with ur mongoose kit. And don't worry about a tune as you can just tell Tim what you are having added to your car and he'll send you a re-tune if he deems it necessary. :nice:

I too vote for LTs. That will be my next mod post-blower. Probably sometime next spring...after I pay off all my debts.