Which Auto Transmission

Wildstanger86

Active User
Aug 28, 2017
I have an 86 5.0 that I am considering putting a build trans in it and possibly an engine. Which automatics is everyone using and would think is the best one to put in with reasons why. Thanks in advance for the input.

• Sponsors (?)

I had a 4R70W with a full manual valve body built. It was rated and tested at around 800HP which is far more than I'll ever need. It can be driven as easy-going as a stocker or as hard-shifting as you want. Of course, you can get an automatic valve body or one that allows it to be electronically or manually controlled, but this is what I wanted.

Here are the specs:

4R70W w/electronic OD
Full manual valve body
Cryogenically-treated Internals
Line pressure modulation/blow-through system w/TransGo bypass
Alto Red & High Energy clutches (int 4, fwd 5, rev 4, direct 7)
10" Forged 3000RPM lockup converter w/large carbon lockup clutch
Welded carbon OD band, input shaft, high grade stub shaft
B&M heavy duty transmission cooler

And install a real transmission fluid cooler. The one that's part of the radiator is just OK. The 'tube-and-fin' aftermarket stuff is worse and plain garbage. Get an aftermarket "plate" cooler, 'plate-and-fin' is OK but 'stacked-plate' is better, although the latter will probably require AN fittings on your stock lines or new AN-fitted lines

Reactions: 1 users
And install a real transmission fluid cooler. The one that's part of the radiator is just OK. The 'tube-and-fin' aftermarket stuff is worse and plain garbage. Get an aftermarket "plate" cooler, 'plate-and-fin' is OK but 'stacked-plate' is better, although the latter will probably require AN fittings on your stock lines or new AN-fitted lines
Never gave that a thought, only auto I got is in the sd tow truck and its a duel tube & fin, been there for bout 15 years.
Good to know.

Im running a Lentech AOD. i love it, have had it for over 15 years. I've heard Len sold the company off to one of his employees so can't speak of today's quality but if its anything like what i have i have would be a good option to go with.

At this point I am not looking to drag it, but I want it to be able move pretty good. I want a trans that will handle some romping on it from time to time.

Guess it depends on how built the engine is then. I think it would be logical to redirect the conversation towards a reliable transmission supplier. Once you have identified a reputable person to buy a transmission from, they can steer you in the right direction on model and upgrade parts. I always liked the idea of having a lockup converter. It really makes all the difference on a street auto.

Kurt