Which SVT Mustang Cobra would you rather have?

Which SVT Cobra would you rather have?

• 3600lbs. 415HP S/C V8

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • 3400lbs. 450HP N/A V8

Votes: 79 83.2%

• Total voters
I voted N/A, only becasue I am tired of people saying that Ford can't make a powerful mass produced N/A V-8 Mustang. Which is of course obsurd :rolleyes: but to me there is a certain mystique involved with drving a super powerful N/A V-8...ala' 60's mucsle cars...

However it is true that power is much easier to produce with a motor built for boost...

Honestly...I really would need more time to think this decision through... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

NA rules

245/45ZR-17 said:
I voted N/A, only becasue I am tired of people saying that Ford can't make a powerful mass produced N/A V-8 Mustang. Which is of course obsurd :rolleyes: but to me there is a certain mystique involved with drving a super powerful N/A V-8...ala' 60's mucsle cars...

However it is true that power is much easier to produce with a motor built for boost...

Honestly...I really would need more time to think this decision through... :shrug:
NA rules, it's pure 60's muscle, it's original, it's natural, and lasts way longer. Ford needs to put a 400-425Hp NA in the next cobra, and make it forged, just in case you want to add a s/c The 03 and 04 cobra's were quick fixes for power. Ford will go back to a bigger NA motor for the mustang, that's a hell of a lot better than just being lazy and slapping a s/c on it. Mustang's are pure muscle cars. How many 03 cobra's do you see with high miles and big boost, the answer is none, they won't last into high miles with big boost. You can get the same HP from a NA 5.0 cammer motor(440), than you can with a s/c 4.6 with 12-15lbs of boost. Those guys running 12-20lbs of boost on the 03-04 motors aren't gonna have them past 60-75k. A NA forged 5.0 cammer or improved NA 5.4 will give you 400-450 NA and last you well over 100k(if you use synthetic oil).

I hope Ford displays some good ingenuity and comes out with a potent(400-440HP) NA and forged 5.0 or 5.4 liter. Heck, I'd take a 2000 Cobra R motor and car over a 03-04 cobra anyday.

N/A all the way. Although modding a factory S/C motor may be cheaper, but you can only go so far before you will have to upgrade the factory blower anyway. I like the option of being able to add a blower. I think Ford has taken the easy (cheap) way out by throwing a blower on anything they want to have some extra power.

It would be nice to have both to choose from.

5.4 SOHC 3V N/A - 385 hp 3500 lbs.
4.6 DOHC 4V S/C - 390 hp 3650 lbs. (iron block)

Given those two choices, which would you choose? Now what about this:

5.4 SOHC 3V S/C - 450 hp 3550 lbs.

For those who say they like to have N/A with the option of adding a blower later, it doesn't get any better than having one engineered by the factory. If you want to go N/A with this car, I say we need a 5.4 3V. That would even trump the 'almighty' 5.0 Cammer that we'll never see.

uglyII said:
Hmmm...heavier car with less power, or lighter car with more power...
I dont know, OK?!!! Too complicated!!! :bang:

Seriously...why doesnt the poll just say:

1-Fast car
2-Faster car

Thats what it comes down to isnt it?

Absolutely not. If your looking for a daily driver, non-modded stock car.. then your right. No comparison at all. BUT, if your thinking about modding then you have to go with the S/C car if $$$ are a concern. Why?

1) forged internals- don't even act like ford would pay the extra $$ to do this on a n/a car.

2) cheap h/p- throwing on a kb or whipple to a s/c cobra takes about 2 hours. trying to modify a n/a car for foced induction would probably take a week. to do it right you would have to pull the motor and replace the cheap internals, and then add all the bells and whistles (intercooler, pulley, etc.).

Bottom line is I could have that S/C Cobra owning the N/A in no time flat and for a lot cheaper. But yes, stock for stock the N/A is going to kill the S/C.

Once again, it all depends on what your plans are.

I personally prefer a N/A car, especially on the street. The solution to the cheap pulley chip is the cheap nitrous kit. I also like lighter cars. I mean no offense but look at the 2003/2004 cobras... They have anywhere from 350-390rwhp stock right? Most people seem to run low 13s with them(not everybody is an expert driver), sometimes high 12s. 3800 lbs is HEAVY!!

BlackDrop50 said:
I personally prefer a N/A car, especially on the street. The solution to the cheap pulley chip is the cheap nitrous kit.
The pulley costs a *lot* less than the nitrous :).

I also like lighter cars. I mean no offense but look at the 2003/2004 cobras... They have anywhere from 350-390rwhp stock right? Most people seem to run low 13s with them(not everybody is an expert driver), sometimes high 12s. 3800 lbs is HEAVY!!
Yes, 'tis heavy, but it doesn't feel any heavier on the road than my 3200 lb GT does. Suspension has more to do with how a car feels on the road than just the curb weight.