Who else has had the gears polished

mogs01gt said:
bottom line is that a 1 or 2 percent increase on lower horsepower output engines wont make any difference. Its a waste of money plain and simple.

When you get in the 1000+, it may be a good idea but then again, 200 dollars on those setups is nothing.

I absolutely agree....see my first post :D
san~man said:
FWIW, it "may" help but it certainly isn't "worth" 200 bux. JMHO

Jackie Chan said:
depends on how many passes down the 1/4 you make. i am a big believer in track times if they are documented and enough passes are made

I agree again, but I doubt that he'd go that far to make multiple passes just to prove a "possible" gain of a few HP. JMO.

• Sponsors (?)

hardened/polished gears

Still playing the hardened/polished gears game, I have gained 7 pounds of torque and only 1 HP on a poor installation of the gear and pinion. Backlash is way off.

Yeah and the $200 for playing is nothing for me, its more about the learning. I will continue to update my web page with new result after I get the gear and pinion installed properly.

For the process you can go to: http://www.weather-check.com/3_73_gear_&_pinion.htm

cvgtpony03 said:
Or do you spend all of your time on here. There was a great article in one of the Mustang magazines (50mustangs and fast fords or muscle mustangs and fast fords) about this. The parts are not polished but basically sanded to a SUPER smooth surface to a point they look polished. The parts are put in a machine that has a sandy material in it that spins and turns the parts inside the machine. It goes thru several different stages with smaller and smaller "grit" material until the end when they are mirror smooth. There is a hardening process also.

It does not wear off. RUB TWO MIRRORS TOGETHER WITH A LUBRICANT BETWEEN THEM AND LET ME KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES BEFORE THE MIRRORS LOOSE THEIR SMOOTHNESS. See you in a million years. :rlaugh: It reduces friction which in turn yeilds a little horse power gain and makes them stronger and I would believe reduce heat.

You can apply this process to engine parts also.

It is expensive but it is not rediculous. I think it is hilarious that you guys down a product when you do not even know a thing about it. Makes me wonder about the opinions I have recieved from you on previous questions I have asked you.

I am not quoting the article by the way. Just realting from my memory so I may not be 100% accurate. But I do remember reading the article and being impressed.

Go ahead and start flaming me.......:D .......Ken

ok your theory might be correct. but when was the last time inside of the diff case was free from contaminents like sand or metal shavings that would mess up the surface?

If its like 25bucks to plish, i would have said its worth it. But for $200, I can't justify the cost...
what you get out of this process, i think i can get same result from going to high quality gear lube for far far less then $200