Who makes the BEST clutch cable?

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Please guys I need some advise on where to get the best clutch cable. As some of you know when my cable broke on saturday I could only get one from AutoZone so I could get the car home. Well it broke on Sunday! The plastic part that holds it to the tranny before the clutch fork just sheered off! What a piece of crap! I know most of you say the adjustable ones stretch out, so I dont wana go that rout. Does anyone make one where the part that holds it next to the tranny is metal? Please let me know where so I can order tonight, I miss driving my car:(
Sammich, Daggar what do you guys use?
I can get the Steeda adj one delivered for $40 but the auction ends in 3.4 hours. Is it any good? Is anyone using the Steeda non-adj cable, is it any good?

• Sponsors (?)

I use The Steeda Adjustable Clutch Cable, Double Hook Quadrant and Firewall Adjuster. I haven't had any issues with it, and I've had it since November. I personally haven't heard anything bad about it.

However, as Dark Writter stated above I've heard nothing but good things about the Ford "universal" cable from Maximum Motorsports.

Most of what I've read here the majority go for the ford universal cable w/mm. Whichever way you go, let us know how you like it. :nice:

Ford "universal" cable from Maximum Motorsports, $75 shipped. GET IT. :nice:

I know my car has an aluminium quadrent on it, dont know what brand, mabey the Ford Racing one because it doesnt have a "hook" like the others. Wil that cable still work since I dont have the OEM quadrent?

Thanks, I just ordered the MM universal oem one. $75.15 shipped. Hope it gets here soon, I wanna go drive somewhere!

I know my car has an aluminium quadrent on it, dont know what brand, mabey the Ford Racing one because it doesnt have a "hook" like the others. Wil that cable still work since I dont have the OEM quadrent?
If you have a aluminum quadrent on it, you should be running some kind of adjustable setup (ie. firewall/cable). Im guessing you have to pry the clutch fork forward to get the cable on? You shouldn't have to do that. A stock cable/quadrant is the best way to go IMO. I went through three cables and got sick of the adjustable ones "unadjusting" themselves. The bad part is once you take the stock quadrant off the only place I know of to get a new one is Ford and its $90 b/c the quadrant is mounted to the shaft for the clutch pedal.

Forgot to ask if you're running with a firewall adjuster already, or not. With the Ford cable and an aftermarket quadrant, you'll need a firewall adjuster to take up the slack in the cable.

Also, note that a Ford cable may not work with some single-hook quadrants. You might need to also obtain a multi-hook quadrant, if the one you have does not allow the new one to fit. UPR has a nice quad and adjuster combo sale at a decent price - that's what I've been running in the Notch for about 2 years, now, without a single problem.

If you have a aluminum quadrent on it, you should be running some kind of adjustable setup (ie. firewall/cable). Im guessing you have to pry the clutch fork forward to get the cable on? You shouldn't have to do that. A stock cable/quadrant is the best way to go IMO. I went through three cables and got sick of the adjustable ones "unadjusting" themselves. The bad part is once you take the stock quadrant off the only place I know of to get a new one is Ford and its $90 b/c the quadrant is mounted to the shaft for the clutch pedal.

Forgot to ask if you're running with a firewall adjuster already, or not. With the Ford cable and an aftermarket quadrant, you'll need a firewall adjuster to take up the slack in the cable.

Also, note that a Ford cable may not work with some single-hook quadrants. You might need to also obtain a multi-hook quadrant, if the one you have does not allow the new one to fit. UPR has a nice quad and adjuster combo sale at a decent price - that's what I've been running in the Notch for about 2 years, now, without a single problem.

I have a Steeda firewall adjuster. I hope I dont have to replace the quadrent, looks like a pain in the arse to change.