Why Can't I launch right?

eliaseje

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Ohio
I have Traction Action Bars and MT ET Street Drag Radials 255/55/16. I was at the track this weekend and I tried to launch at 4500RPM's and all I did was spin tires but if I launch at 3500 the car wants to fall on it's face. I think I need to launch around 3800RPM. The car has been dynoed at 330 RWHP but I can't seem to get the launch down right. Any tips would be appreciated. My 60ft times are 2.3's, I once got a 2.2. I know thats bad. Please help. LOL

• Sponsors (?)

launching is something that you get from practice.

tips:
where is your tire pressure at?
are you easing the clutch out or popping it?

any other traction adders? I have the same traction mods you do, but i get a 2.00 almost everytime... 1.9xx a few times.
you shoudl think about doing some front suspension like some 70/30s or soemthing like that atleast.

Like mentioned earlier, try feathering the clutch to prevent the car from falling on it's face or spinning out. It takes a lot of practice but that should get you below 2.0 60' times with ease...

There's really no easy way to tell you how to do this. You need to know exactly where it begins to engage and when it fully engages.

fred

eliaseje said:
I pop the clutch.... and tire pressure is at reccomended spec. 44psi. How much should I drop it?

With my Sportsman pros I ran about 17psi or so... I don't know what those tires work best at, but I'm sure it's close to what I used...

eliaseje said:
I pop the clutch.... and tire pressure is at reccomended spec. 44psi. How much should I drop it?

Someone check me on this, but from what I understand MT recommends 22-28# with these tires. You'll have to play with it a bit to see what works best. 44# was probably the recommendation for street driving.

Try the lower pressure and see if it makes a difference in how you can launch the car. I'm guessing that you should be able to launch at a higher RPM with practice.

Launching...

We all need to try it out...
As mentioned, go for lower tire pressure,N8Millers adv
seems to be a good start. And ,of course, you are
doing a quick smokey burnout in second gear ? Your clutch is in good condition, and whats your rear spring setup,
and is the car lower at the front. Removing front sway bar for better weight transfer etc.. Just Me :)

From what I understand, and I've researched a ton because I am buying drag radials soon, is....1) drop pressure somewhere from 15-20 pounds (depending on sidewall height and tire brand), 2) warm up drag radials really good.....do a fairly long smoky burnout ( I read in "5.0 Mustang" magazine today that a pro driver said you actually heat drag radials up a little longer than straight slicks), 3) launch closest to your peak torque, usually around 35-4000ish, and slip the clutch out instead of just dropping it. This all takes practice but is the all-around most effective technique used and has gotten some drivers in the 1.6x-1.7x zone. Good Luck and let us know if your times improve, I am sure they will. :)

Check that you spin both wheels in burnout - a worn rear limited slip diff will spin only 1 wheel then when you launch you are launching on only 1 tyre contact patch.

Best of Luck.