Why do people delete their spoilers? Aren't they functional?

~B7~ said:
Silver Cobra! :drool:

How much is the Saleen wing anyways? And is it just the wing that attaches to the trunk or also the side pieces that run down the quarter panels?
Thanks.

The wing is about $190 plus shipping. The wing with the side pieces is the 02-04 wing. 99-01 did not have the sideburns. See this thread I started about it. http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=3690824#post3690824

• Sponsors (?)

AdamantiumKnot said:
i was reading somewhere that if the spoiler or wing is not even with or above the roofline it will make no difference on the mustangs, it just causes drag. it's just the way they were designed. they're not very aerodynamic cars, and though the 2005 looks cool, i think they should have improved the weakpoints of the stang and made the fashion functional.
even below the roofline some gain might be made

and not always does a spoiler cause drag either

rx7speed said:
man you guys seem to be shafted with the spoilers
the little spoiler on my car will reduce aerodynamic drag AND cause negative lift (AKA downforce)

Better check your principles of flight again. Then again maybe them Wright Brothers are all wrong. 4 factors apply here. Lift, Gravity, Thrust and Drag. Tell me how a spoiler or wing creates LESS Drag please.

mwdguy said:
Better check your principles of flight again. Then again maybe them Wright Brothers are all wrong. 4 factors apply here. Lift, Gravity, Thrust and Drag. Tell me how a spoiler or wing creates LESS Drag please.
care to tell me why the stock air damn plus a little piece in front of each of my wheels as well as the spoiler on my car reduce the drag from .32 down to .28 and cut lift in half?
if anything these pieces you would think are in the way of airflow but instead work to redirect it and make it flow in a better manner

but still it does work

it's all in airflow
if a spoiler is designed right the air leaving off the back of the car can reduce turbulance at the rear which can reduce drag
I'm not talking some huge wing that ricers put on the car
but a small little spoiler at the rear more or less looking like a shelf on the back of the car

you might wish to check things out yourself a little more and you might find something out

most spoilers that are functional do cause drag, that is part of how you get down force isn't it. a front spoiler or air dam such as a Steeda splitter helps to keep air out from under the car and reduce drag. The rear spoiler on a stock 2000 gt doesn't increase drag by enough to notice or add drag. The air misses it. When my rear spoiler is wet with dew and I drive down the road, the water barely moves off of it. I'm not sure about the 01 and later, but I don't think Ford spent much time developing a functional spoiler for a street car. The car was never designed to be a 150+ mph car like a Corvette or Viper.
BTW the huge wing like on a Cobra R ( like big ricer wings seems functional )

those I would think are functional
and the whole slope on my car is a little different then on yours I'm sure which might
be part of why it works
but like the new ferrari super car
I would think that thing is fairly aerodynamic just wish I had some specs on it
but yet it puts down almost 1750lbs of downforce at 170mph
yet get a VW mini bus going that same speed which is by far less aerodynamic and it would put down a lot less downforce

heck if you look at a lot of cars that are made for high speed a lot of them hardly have anything looking like a wing at all

but to reduce lift doesn't always mean more drag
but wings don't always have to be usefull at 150+ either

heck look at a few high end sports cars
they might have a spoiler but most of them are not very large either
hell some don't even have one like the vette
also they are very aerodynamic YET they are stable at high speeds
with the speeds these guys are achieving using some of the logic here they should be pulling a high drag rather then lower then a lot of other cars

rx7speed said:
you might wish to check things out yourself a little more and you might find something out

Well maybe you can tell me when F1, or NASCAR cars add more wing (increase the angle of the spoiler, thus increasing the downforce) it slows the top speen they can attain down?

I don't know how you can think you can have downforce and decrease drag?

Link me to some scientific articles and then I might believe you.

mwdguy said:

you never heard of magic? :rolleyes: where you been dude? :spot:

mwdguy said:
Well maybe you can tell me when F1, or NASCAR cars add more wing (increase the angle of the spoiler, thus increasing the downforce) it slows the top speen they can attain down?

I don't know how you can think you can have downforce and decrease drag?

Link me to some scientific articles and then I might believe you.

then a VW mini bus should have lots of downforce right?
but yet take it against lets say the S7 which is a ton more aerodynamic which makes more downforce though?

adding more wing can make for more downforce yes and does make for more drag

but there is a difference between the idea there and what I am talking about

like adding an airdamn can improve drag by not allowing air under the car YET also helps downforce by again not letting air under the car

the little wing on the back of my car doesn't stick up in the way of the air like a spoiler on a F1 car it sits flat on the rear deck of the car just to redirect it away from the wake this way the airflow is more efficient

sure it will not create as much downforce as a wing on the F1 cars
but still it does show it's part and does make a difference

but I will rephrase what I said
the spoiler on my car is not in truth producing downforce but it does reduce lift which is something most cars do suffer from so while my car might not be putting 1000lbs (just putting a number there) of force on the tires at speed
but reduces the lift from lets say 200lbs of lift down to about 100lbs of lifting force on the tires

and a link for you plus some quotes from the links
http://wings.avkids.com/Book/Sports/instructor/race_car-01.html

The rear deck spoiler is designed to raise the rear stagnation line. In other words, the rear spoiler increases the flow under the body by ensuring that the flow from the upper surface doesn't wrap around the rear of the vehicle (need an illustration). This promotes the production of downforce at the rear of the car. Depending on the car geometry, a rear spoiler can decrease drag by reducing flow separation at the rear window.

The simplest devices available are front air dams and rear spoilers. The flow under a vehicle is disturbed by the various drive train and plumbing components. By reducing the airflow under the vehicle, a front air dam reduces the drag of the vehicle. Also, the pressure immediately behind the air dam is reduced which aids the cooling flow across the radiator. At the same time, the lift is reduced at the front of the car.

a reason why the little pieces in front of each tire on my car help even though this is for open wheel cars if you read the article it still can apply to normal cars
just works to a greater extent on open wheel cars

The tires also create a significant amount of drag for open*wheel race cars. This is due to the separation of the flow behind the tires. Several tricks have been used to decrease this drag. Most of these involve simple plates designed to divert the air around the tire, thereby, limiting the amount of flow separation behind the tire.

http://www.pricethecar.com.my/resources/tips/spoilers.htm

Spoilers are angular and liplike and are attached to or designed into the rear of the car. They can be used to create downforce like a wing, however their primary function is to reduce lift or drag. On hatchbacks a spoiler can create a pool of air ahead of the spoiler that separates the airflow from the rear of the car decreasing lift. It can also steer the airflow cleanly away from the surface of the vehicle, preventing its tendency to remain attached to the car’s surfaces. This can decrease drag and reduce the underbody pressure that contributes to lift.

might be able to find more but it will take a little bit since I think bed is calling me

but take care and hope you learn something from it

but see not at all points does a reducion of lift mean more drag

rx7speed said:
The rear deck spoiler is designed to raise the rear stagnation line. In other words, the rear spoiler increases the flow under the body by ensuring that the flow from the upper surface doesn't wrap around the rear of the vehicle (need an illustration). This promotes the production of downforce at the rear of the car. Depending on the car geometry, a rear spoiler can decrease drag by reducing flow separation at the rear window.

Exactly my point. What they are talking about is not unlike a spoiler on an Outlaw car such as Dan Millens. There is a huge difference between a drag spoiler which is meant to smoothen out the airflow exiting off of the body while creating the least amount of drag possible (not lessening it, just creating less than an F1 style wing)

These spoilers extend past the trunkline but are perfectly level with the trunkline. Whereas downforce with an F1 car is created by air moving UNDER the wing, creating a lower pressure area under the wing (in effect causing a -ve pressure area) because the air velocity is required to speed up to go around the wing.

Two totally different wings acomplishing two different tasks. Both increase drag, only one does it much more than the other.

Now where you are talking about the spoilers on 96+ stangs creating downforce, it has been said many times in this post that the only spoiler on a 96+ car that provides any downforce is on the 00R. Well since it was a Ford Engineer who said that the spoiler placement is that way because that is where it would have to be of any use (which doesn't happen until over 100MPH) and the placement was researched in a wind tunnel, I am going to side with the Ford Engineer and not you.

BTW how do you think by placing absolutely ANYTHING in the air envelope around a car will DECREASE drag? You put ANYTHING into an airstream it will cause some drag.

rx7speed said:
those I would think are functional
and the whole slope on my car is a little different then on yours I'm sure which might
be part of why it works
but like the new ferrari super car
I would think that thing is fairly aerodynamic just wish I had some specs on it
but yet it puts down almost 1750lbs of downforce at 170mph
yet get a VW mini bus going that same speed which is by far less aerodynamic and it would put down a lot less downforce

heck if you look at a lot of cars that are made for high speed a lot of them hardly have anything looking like a wing at all

but to reduce lift doesn't always mean more drag
but wings don't always have to be usefull at 150+ either

heck look at a few high end sports cars
they might have a spoiler but most of them are not very large either
hell some don't even have one like the vette
also they are very aerodynamic YET they are stable at high speeds
with the speeds these guys are achieving using some of the logic here they should be pulling a high drag rather then lower then a lot of other cars
The spoilers on our cars are not functional.

BTW take a look at a Vette and look at the car from front to rear. It is a wind tunnel designed car. They make wings that are functional for them but they already cut through the air and have a lot of downforce at higher speeds without a spoiler.
All the physics teachers seem to be correct about high pressure , low pressure, lift, and drag, but the stock Mustang spoiler is still not functional.

forpit2000gt said:
The spoilers on our cars are not functional.

BTW take a look at a Vette and look at the car from front to rear. It is a wind tunnel designed car. They make wings that are functional for them but they already cut through the air and have a lot of downforce at higher speeds without a spoiler.
All the physics teachers seem to be correct about high pressure , low pressure, lift, and drag, but the stock Mustang spoiler is still not functional.
yeah don't remember much about the mustang spoiler as I can't even remember what it looks like off the top of my head
v6 stangs rule this area and almost no GT's
and the GT's around here a lot of times are bare back

mwdguy said:
Exactly my point. What they are talking about is not unlike a spoiler on an Outlaw car such as Dan Millens. There is a huge difference between a drag spoiler which is meant to smoothen out the airflow exiting off of the body while creating the least amount of drag possible (not lessening it, just creating less than an F1 style wing)
read the info presented they are able to reduce drag as well
if not care to explain why the car has a lower drag coefficient then the cars without the spoiler?
same care same body style

These spoilers extend past the trunkline but are perfectly level with the trunkline. Whereas downforce with an F1 car is created by air moving UNDER the wing, creating a lower pressure area under the wing (in effect causing a -ve pressure area) because the air velocity is required to speed up to go around the wing.
well aware of how a F1 wing works but that wasn't part of the original thing you quoted of me
it was about my car which is different then a F1 car

Two totally different wings acomplishing two different tasks. Both increase drag, only one does it much more than the other.
read the thing again
should be able to see that the spoiler on the car I own can reduce drag

Now where you are talking about the spoilers on 96+ stangs creating downforce, it has been said many times in this post that the only spoiler on a 96+ car that provides any downforce is on the 00R. Well since it was a Ford Engineer who said that the spoiler placement is that way because that is where it would have to be of any use (which doesn't happen until over 100MPH) and the placement was researched in a wind tunnel, I am going to side with the Ford Engineer and not you.
haven't said much of anything about the mustang spoilers
being I don't know that much about them
you posted originally about my car doesn't have much to do with a mustang now does it :p

BTW how do you think by placing absolutely ANYTHING in the air envelope around a car will DECREASE drag? You put ANYTHING into an airstream it will cause some drag.

I agree that putting things in the way of the air will create drag
but with a object already there by putting devices in spots might direct the air flow over a more managable area or let it exit in a more efficient manner
big point on that is air dams
they put more area in front of the car then having just the front bumper
but they still are able to reduce drag with how it redirects the air around the car rather then let it hit a very bad area of under the car
so by having something in the way of air flow doesn't mean it is going to cause drag all the time