Why the EFF is my Clutch pedal chattering?!?!?!

Trick98GT

Jan 9, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Ok...So i just had a friend of mine with a 95 GT replace my clutch. Keep in mind, he's not just anyone...he has built many of the fastest mustangs around my town and works as a lead tech at precision tune. anyway...

I had the king cobra kit in my car for a little over a year. tore though 2 t/o bearings and towards the last couple months i had it, the pedal started chattering. About a month ago, i developed a rear main leak so i figured, why not replace the clutch. I got the basic FRPP HD clutch kit and everything was smooth for the first 600-700 miles. I baby'd it and didn't bring it over about 3500rpms so i'd let it break in...now...the sumbich is chattering like the king cobra was...Please tell me all it needs is to be re-adjusted...

• Sponsors (?)

or just an aluminum quadrant with the adjustable cable , some brands have both and or a firewall adjuster . just get one that will take the slack out of the cable thats whats causing the chattering pedal .

Trick98GT said:
I sat there and watched him resurface it...

shouldnt be the flywheel then , thats why i suggested the cable slack is the problem because most people will run these until they give a problem such as yours , friend of mine with a 95 GT vert just went through the same thing .

2002BLGT said:
or just an aluminum quadrant with the adjustable cable , some brands have both and or a firewall adjuster . just get one that will take the slack out of the cable thats whats causing the chattering pedal .
We added a steeda 'red' quick release, steep ramp quad, adjustable cable and Steeda firewall adjuster when we had a FRPP King Cobra installed in my wife's 01. Started with the blue, two pickup quad, but the pedal was an inch higher than before - kness banging into the steering wheel! The red quad fixed that and the firewall adjuster will take the chattering pedal problem away.

nooooooo

I had the same prob a couple of times with diffrent clutches in many stangs .Yes the adj quad will fix it but it is because you can pre load the t/o bearing 99% of the time thats what the prob is .the bearing will get worn and start to have a bad spot per say and it will cause the pedal to chatter putting a adj quad or firewall adj will fix it because it can pre load the t/o bearin but will also cause pre mature failure of the t/o bearing . Kinda like when the t/o is squeeling and you apply a bit of forece to the pedal it will stop

flyinon2wheels said:
I had the same prob a couple of times with diffrent clutches in many stangs .Yes the adj quad will fix it but it is because you can pre load the t/o bearing 99% of the time thats what the prob is .the bearing will get worn and start to have a bad spot per say and it will cause the pedal to chatter putting a adj quad or firewall adj will fix it because it can pre load the t/o bearin but will also cause pre mature failure of the t/o bearing . Kinda like when the t/o is squeeling and you apply a bit of forece to the pedal it will stop

If that's the case, how can my brand new clutch kit have a worn t/o bearing already?