Wide band software

woodsnake

15 Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Hicksville, NY
In regards to another thread on carb tuning, I thought I'd ask about what it takes to use a wide band 02 sensor for diagnostics and tuning. Other than having a bung welded into the exhaust, what hardware do you use? Is there a laptop application? Can you get an 02 sensor with a USB end?

What other lap top tools are there for the engine diagnostics guy, for the car with out an OBD I or II port on the car?

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, that looks pretty sexy!
So, if I weld in an 02 sensor, that will help me determine if my dual quad is performing at its peak, or if I need to change the metering rods out? And it can also help determine if I have optimal timing dialed in?

You would need to put a bung on both sides of the motor. You can use wide band O2 sensors to learn a lot about how an engine is performing.

Another option is a Gunson Colortune. It is basically a spark plug with a clear sight glass in it so you can see the color of the flame kernal. You can adjust your carb until your cylinders are firing in the proper color range at all RPMs.

The Colortune gives you a better idea what each cylinder is doing but the O2 sensor will give you a better overall picture of how that bank of cylinders is performing.

Yes it can. It can data log your timing but it can't manipulate it. Dual sensors is the desired method but you can also weld a bung in both collectors and tune one side and then swap it to the other side to check to make sure it's the same. Exhaust temperature probes in each header is how the pro's tune AFR but it is a very costly set up. Google "tuning with a wide band" there is a lot of info out there. I am honing in on the perfect tune for my 393 stroker. The difference from the out of the box setup to now is like night and day.

I think I'm going to end up getting a wideband. Me and a buddy were talking about splitting the costs. Between the two of us we have 5 Mustangs that we can use this on, so it just may be worth it.

I think I'm going to end up getting a wideband. Me and a buddy were talking about splitting the costs. Between the two of us we have 5 Mustangs that we can use this on, so it just may be worth it.

You will learn a lot with a wideband and splitting the costs is a great idea. Using my Innovate, I was able to obtain a flat curve, starting at about 12.8 to 13.2 running an Eddy 1405 on a 331 cu. The RPM range was from 2800 to 6000.
It took a couple of metering rod changes and a secondary jet change.
You will not regret it. As stated, the data logging is great way to capture the numbers.
Good Luck!