Will I need an alum. driveshaft w/ 4.10's?

• Sponsors (?)

i don't think the vibration is from 4.10's, it's from the gear swap in general. the driveshaft is spinning so much faster than before. the aluminum driveshaft is balanced better, weighs less, and since it weighs less has less rotational mass to deal with which equates to less drivetrain loss.

axeman said:
i don't think the vibration is from 4.10's, it's from the gear swap in general. the driveshaft is spinning so much faster than before. the aluminum driveshaft is balanced better, weighs less, and since it weighs less has less rotational mass to deal with which equates to less drivetrain loss.
It has nothing to do with it being lighter,the factory DS had a balance problem!

fox 5.0 an aluminum driveshaft is a must if you're increasing horsepower and of course torque is the main thing. my stock driveshaft had very little vibration after i put the 4:56's in my car, but after a couple trips to the track and some good hooking blam drive shaft was vibrating bad due to some nice twisting. put an aluminum one on and wham no vibration since and no probs. at the track either. the cost of getting a stock drriveshaft balanced plus new ujoints is to close to the cost of an aluminum one to not get one. I have heard of people using hose clamps to help balance a driveshaft but i wouldn't recommend it to much. lol

yeah it's a very good idea for another couple reasons also. The added vibration in the D/S will actually hurt bearings(pinion and outputshaft)and can limit seal life, so it's definatley worth getting, everything is so much smoother.

i put 4:10's in my car like 6 months ago and i had the vibration everyone is talking about about 60 mph. they place near me wanted $75 to balance my stock drive shaft so i went ahead and paid $160 for the aluminum and im glad i did. i picked up almost .20 at the track. just my 2 cents.

axeman said:

Rotational mass has nothing to do with driveline loss. Absoutely no HP difference between alumn and steel drivelines. If it has less vibration, it's because it's balanced better. Steel driveshafts, balanced correctly, will run just as well.