winter storage?

ban-one

Mar 30, 2005
ny
its 13 oct 06 and in upstate ny its time to retire the gt for the winter? anyone have any tips on what to do to prepare it for winter? it will go in my backyard so it will be outdoors.i have a car cover what else should i do? there are no local storage areas around and besides i couldnt keep an eye on it.

• Sponsors (?)

You going to run it at all over the winter? I'd probably treat the fuel so it doesn't go bad and make sure its full to reduce the amount of moisture allowed in the tank. Do an oil change....make sure your anti-freeze is good, pull the battery, make sure the car is spotless inside and out....don't want bird poop sitting on your paint all winter, with the cover just scratching it into the paint.....plus you don't want crumbs inside to attract critters and bugs. Find one of the products designed to soak up some of the moisture you might get inside the car.

If it were mine, I'd make sure to run it for 5-10 minutes every week or so to keep everything lubed up and burn off moisture.

they say running at an idle causes moisture to build up and when u shut it off.. it freezes, so its ok to not run it all winter. and we allready got 2 feet of snow and i dont want to drive it in winter its rust free so id like to keep it that way, and its on grass.. concrete outside collects moisturei was told.. i put plywood underneath it so as to reduce moisture.. water dont rust the salt and stuff in the water does..tank is good to go car is clean and washed and covered.. covered tires with blk plastic bags to keep uv and wind from drying out tires and rusting my chrome rims.

just

Oil change, new oil filter, stabil, fill gas tank, wash and wax, fill tires, and cover with a good car cover (it gets garaged, but keeps the dust off.)

That's what my baby gets before every winter.

i store mine in the winter....

1 i fill the fuel tank, and add fuel stabilizer
2 i do an oil change
3 i clean the heck out of it
4 take out the battery
5 then store it...and wait till spring

i never start it, and dont worry about the tires. maybe back in the day it was true about tires wearing on concrete, and what not. now it just does not happen, after a few miles of driving. they are all even.

good luck.......this has worked for me for years...:nice:

A good idea is to lay coal briquettes (like from a BBQ) on a cookie tray and just set it on the back seat. It sucks up moisture and greatly reduces any chance of mold...
Plus, it slows down that musty smell that always seems to get in (an open box of baking soda helps too w/ any smell that might be)

oh ya, and make sure their arent any raisins in the crack of the seats....they can smell baddddddd