Winter

• Sponsors (?)

I used to drove my previous car in the winter....learned my lesson. :nonono:

It drove great...would go through anything. Drove it through a couple blizzards...the metal would tell the story. Car is gone now. Rust ate it... This fox I have now will never ever see a salty road.

Reactions: 1 user
I snowed here....havent got it in the garage yet, gotta move some things around...as long as I don't drive it and it sits til the snow is gone and hopefully the salt washes away...it should be fine, til I get it stored...right?

Yep, Im in Albuq, NM. Sunny pretty much everyday and mid 50's. Perfect weather to cruise the Stang. Not everyday, weekends for sure.

I snowed here....havent got it in the garage yet, gotta move some things around...as long as I don't drive it and it sits til the snow is gone and hopefully the salt washes away...it should be fine, til I get it stored...right?

Attachments

• 20171227_185431.jpg
    20171227_185431.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 198
Ahhhh, well, I bought a bronco ll years ago that was only driven in fair weather around NY, parked on the street with snow piled on it all winter from the plows, rusted from the inside out, perhaps just snow falling on it will not harm it but I would not drive it, snow is only frozen rain right? VERY cold frozen rain.

I live in upstate ny. You should be fine if your not driving it. Try to cover it up or garage it when you can. I would worry about rodents getting in it and nesting. K.

If I lived up north where it snowed, there would be no way in hell I'd drive a foxbody in the winter. I used to put bagsofcatlitter in my 67Mustang back in the day, as these cars get real squirelly. Luckily the coldest it gets down here is a few days in the 50's around December,

I was in Maine this summer and while there I was going to help my dad change his exhaust on his Toyota. Once I looked under that car I remembered why I hated winter so much. Everything under the car was rusted. The exhaust bolts didn't even look like bolts. I would never drive a car that I care about in winter where they salt the roads.

Last edited:
When I lived up north my car rarely saw rain, never saw snow, and never came out in the spring till after we'd had a couple good rains to wash the salt away.
These things are light weight, thin sheet metal structures... will not take much to get them eaten up.
I moved to Phoenix Az... don't even have wipers on the car, has not seen rain in 18 years.
Oddly, my car rarely gets driven in the summer... too hot, but gets lots of exercise in the "winter".

Drove it yesterday. Roads are too cold, and it spins through every gear.
Kurt
Yep, pretty fun going into 4th at ~90mph and getting wheelspin... even with drag radials... Was 41*.

My car is a garage queen at this point, but even when it wasn't I used to park it for the winter. Up in the northeast, the salt just EATS cars and my buddies who DD'ed their foxes eventually had to get rid of them due to rotted strut towers and other areas. Even SN95's up here are starting to suffer strut tower rot. I looked at a 2004 GT that had a bad case of it.

I park my car once daytime temps start getting below 50 degrees, and I won't take it out until we've had a few good rainstorms in the spring to wash the roads clear.

Right now it's -1 degree out, and I really need to get to a car wash on the DD. This is why owning a car older than 10-15 years old is rare up here
IMG_5227.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
My car is a garage queen at this point, but even when it wasn't I used to park it for the winter. Up in the northeast, the salt just EATS cars and my buddies who DD'ed their foxes eventually had to get rid of them due to rotted strut towers and other areas. Even SN95's up here are starting to suffer strut tower rot. I looked at a 2004 GT that had a bad case of it.

I park my car once daytime temps start getting below 50 degrees, and I won't take it out until we've had a few good rainstorms in the spring to wash the roads clear.

Right now it's -1 degree out, and I really need to get to a car wash on the DD. This is why owning a car older than 10-15 years old is rare up here
IMG_5227.JPG

I do not miss that one bit.

So... when I first got my car, I was young and had very little money... I used to buy $500 beaters to run through winter... rainy days.
My favorite was a '70 F150 with a 302 (asking $800, drove off for $500)... red, faded to pink, and rusted to heck... filled chicken feed bags full of sand and put good tires on it, that thing could go through the snow... had 4:30's... it would scream at 55mph. Eventually it was so rusted could not pass safety inspections, sold it for $86 on a super bowl Sunday just to get it gone.
Honorable mention to an '84 Chevette, 4spd ($400, had only been rolled twice, as in, rolled over in an accident, not the odometer)... no heater, had to scrape the windows from the inside as I drove... would not stay in reverse, had to really hold onto the shifter to back up. Blew the timing chain and I junked it.
Later on when I got a little more financially stable, I picked up an '86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (wood panels and all)... That was an amazing winter vehicle... but, the heater motor would bind, and I'd have to pull over, open the hood, and tap on it with a hammer... and off she'd go again... Moved to Phoenix, parked it in a barn for 6 years and finally sold it.

Drove a 85 mustang for a few winters. Did pretty good with good tires. Was a rust bucket though. Rust was so bad on the bottom of the doors I used expanding foam to fill the door bottoms back in.