winterizing my Stang

No one said anyone needs to use boutique oil. Cheap stuff works fine for a storage OCI.

If anyone wanted to know, a UOA would provide whatever info you need so you'd know whether a Fall oil change is needed or not. It would take away about $25 from the beer fund though.

• Sponsors (?)

Not that it means anything but I go back and forth all the time between synthetics and non-synthetics.

If anyone said going back and forth between the two is bad for the motor, I'd like to hear why. Some folks with old seals have had issues, but it's a cleansing issue with the detergents in the synthetics, not the oil itself.

HISSIN50 said:
Not that it means anything but I go back and forth all the time between synthetics and non-synthetics.

If anyone said going back and forth between the two is bad for the motor, I'd like to hear why. Some folks with old seals have had issues, but it's a cleansing issue with the detergents in the synthetics, not the oil itself.
I've heard all sorts of wacked out theory regarding switching back and forth. From reasoning like "When a two different types of oil combine, they chemically react and become ____" ... As far as I'm concerned, there is no logical reason you couldn't switch back and forth daily...

QUIKSVT said:
I've heard all sorts of wacked out theory regarding switching back and forth. From reasoning like "When a two different types of oil combine, they chemically react and become ____" ... As far as I'm concerned, there is no logical reason you couldn't switch back and forth daily...
Exactly. I've been known to read the oil forums pretty hard and I've scanned the VOA's pretty closely. There should be NO compatibility issues with modern oils.

When synthetics were initially introduced (decades ago), there were reportedly some issues with mixing both types (synthetic and dino, at the time. Both were tons different than they are now).

I'd further add that many oil forum guys (myself included) like to do 'home brews', where they mix dino and a synthetic in one batch.

What it all boils down to is that in this day and age, you have to screw up pretty hard to not have decent oil protection. The rest is just nitpicking the last little bit for peace of mind or preference.

And 90MGT5.0, no worries mate. I like to think that what separates SN from other forums is that we can all debate and have just as much respect for eachother as we ever did. We all have personal preferences, which is a good thing (imagine the 'droid replies we'd have on here if we didnt :p ). It's nice to see other peoples' vantage points, even if we might not agree with someone at the time (and I mean that in general, not directed at anyone on this thread).

88_GT_5_oh said:
i forgot about the battery.... i actually bring mine in the house and put it on a shelf in the basement, leaving it in the cold will actually kill it too.

i never got the point of changing the oil in the fall, to me its better to let the old oil sit and let as much as possible make its way back to the pan then i change it in the spring.

I have had the same Generic Autozone Battery in my Stang for over 8 Years, it stays in the car all Winter, it obviously charges up when I start the car once a month or so, and yes Change the Oil Before you put it away!!!

DMAN302 said:
Me...battery out, dryer sheets in the interior, stabil in the tank, change the oil. I don't worry about the mice, very unlikely that they'd make it past dumber and dumber, I don't place anything in the pipes..but good idea. I don't start it simply because everything that oil makes contact with in the engine is not only already coated with oil...but will still be in 6 months, and I don't see the point of periodic dry starts on the internals when it offers no benefit what so ever. Seals won't dry out...trust me. I like to roll the car + or - a foot or two every couple weeks.

It says right in the Owners Manual that if you want to store the car for more than 2 Months you should fire the Engine once every 15 Days, shift the gears and move the car to make sure that the fuel stays mixed, it also says not to use your handbrake, use Sta-Bil, and move the car 25 Feet every 15 Days too. I found this Info in the Owners Manual in the Yellow Section on Pages 279-281.

90mustang_GT5.0 said:
lmao... quote unquote word for word.. i just read it, never thought about looken there.. i thought i could rely on you guys.

I remembered it being in there somewhere, I just needed to walk down to the Garage and find it in there.

Change the oil and filter, remove the battery and store it properly, fill the tank and add stabilizer, add 6 or 7 lbs of air to the tires, put a couple of bars of irish spring under the front seats, cover it and let it rest until April. This will be the 20th year I have done this with the LX and have had zero problems so far. I hate winter!