Wire Tuck

Hello, I just bought my son a 1988 mustang GT. He did a wire tuck on it and now it has now power at all. He watched a video on YouTube to see how to do it. Any ideas on how to figure it out without causing anymore issues. He is absolutely heart broken. Been waiting for this car since he was 6 yrs old. Thank you for any help we can get.

• Sponsors (?)

Here is a picture of solenoid. Don’t think it’s connected right.

Attachments

• B2A9D66E-C7B1-4D42-B88D-4A1B31FAC170.jpeg
    B2A9D66E-C7B1-4D42-B88D-4A1B31FAC170.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 216
I’d have to look at my solenoid to see if it looks different. But I don’t think both of those larger cables are supposed to be attached to the same post. One goes to the battery and the other should go to the starter. At the solenoid, those larger ones should be one on each side of the solenoid. Don’t quote me on that , but I think. I’m sure someone will chime in and confirm me right or wrong.

Have you checked the battery with voltmeter to ensure it is charged?

I’d have to look at my solenoid to see if it looks different. But I don’t think both of those larger cables are supposed to be attached to the same post. One goes to the battery and the other should go to the starter. At the solenoid, those larger ones should be one on each side of the solenoid. Don’t quote me on that , but I think. I’m sure someone will chime in and confirm me right or wrong.

Have you checked the battery with voltmeter to ensure it is charged?

I thought the same thing at first about the wires, but when I recently installed my mini starter I had to put them on the same post.

@LessardStang is it the original starter, or newer style “mini” starter?

Reactions: 1 user
Disregard what I said. Look like both large ones are supposed to be on the same post. Here’s what my 93 looks like.

2D316A42-1080-4A19-9216-E58842684362.jpeg

Yes the only cable supposed to be on the left side is the cable to the starter unless you are running a mini starter and then the starter solenoid wire goes there. All the other wires go to the right side including the battery cable. There is a small red/green wire with a 90* connector that goes to the small post. That wire is what actives the starter solenoid when you turn the key.

I want to wire tuck!! Clean up the bays blah blah. Nah but I want some one to do that for me bc I’m not confident in that one. My buddy is getting a turbo installed on his relatively stock set up besides GT40 iron heads and cobra intake, the guy doing it for him is gonna drop the wiring below the fire wall pinch weld, but also said he was going to cut that pinch weld out or shave it down and weld it. Anyone ever done that?

I want to wire tuck!! Clean up the bays blah blah. Nah but I want some one to do that for me bc I’m not confident in that one. My buddy is getting a turbo installed on his relatively stock set up besides GT40 iron heads and cobra intake, the guy doing it for him is gonna drop the wiring below the fire wall pinch weld, but also said he was going to cut that pinch weld out or shave it down and weld it. Also, I bought essay on this website. Something helped. Anyone ever done that?

My uncle in law makes this kind of stuff. I could ask him.