Wiring Question?

• Sponsors (?)

Militarymustang said:
I just had a Pioneer AVIC N-2 installed but there are a couple issues. Can any one tell me where the speed pulse signal wire can be found and what it looks like?

Thanks

Let me know if you find it - I just installed an AVIC-D1 in my Mustang; after much research both on the internet and in the car I never could locate a VSS wire. The Pioneer units work fine without it being connected, however.

I hope I can find it, there are some minor issues I have to take the car back in for tomorrow. Being stationed in Germany, this is the first 05 Mustang they have worked on. As a result, there are a few bugs. Like they somehow disconnected my heater controls, I'm getting an "excessive vibration " message on the unit, and a couple other minor things. I'm taking the car back to the installers tomorrow, but I'd love know where that speed pulse signal wire is so I don't have to have the dash opened up again later. And the external sensor from Pioneer is another $250.

The only information I got from my tech software was that it is at the wheel sensor, no color or location otherwise. Most newer cars I have done I actually had to goto the sensor at the wheel and tap into the wire, a real p.i.a. but it works everytime.

Militarymustang said:
I hope I can find it, there are some minor issues I have to take the car back in for tomorrow. Being stationed in Germany, this is the first 05 Mustang they have worked on. As a result, there are a few bugs. Like they somehow disconnected my heater controls, I'm getting an "excessive vibration " message on the unit, and a couple other minor things. I'm taking the car back to the installers tomorrow, but I'd love know where that speed pulse signal wire is so I don't have to have the dash opened up again later. And the external sensor from Pioneer is another $250.

The heater control problem is probably just them forgetting to plug in the harness on the lower right corner (as you're sitting in driver's seat looking at the controls) of the center dash trim when they reassembled the dash. Don't know about the "excessive vibration" message - maybe they just didn't screw in the 4 fasteners that hold the unit in tight enough? If they still haven't located the VSS wire after they work on it tomorrow, have them do what I did on mine - I connected the colored VSS wire (I think it was pink) to the AVIC-D1 harness and then ran it out to underneath the driver's side instrument panel where I zip-tied the long wire up underneath the dash. This is just in case I do find the VSS wire at a later date, I hopefully won't have to tear out the dash again - I'll just pull down the wire and make a connection there.

Militarymustang said:
I just had a Pioneer AVIC N-2 installed but there are a couple issues. Can any one tell me where the speed pulse signal wire can be found and what it looks like?

Thanks

I will merely post what I read on another forum

Followup on VSS. Hawgman was correct in identifying the Dark Blue/Yellow Tracer wire in the top plug next to the fuse box as being VSS. I verified that today. The Eclipse AVN5435 has a Check Settings screen on the Navigation menu. "Speed Pulse" will tell you if you have it connected correctly. If it shows your cars speed as you are moving (mine did) then you have it connected. The wiring diagram for the Shaker 500 that I saw somewhere else on this form is not correct for the 2005 Mustand. Pin 14 has no connection.

Hope it helps

gp001 said:
I will merely post what I read on another forum
Hope it helps

Thanks; but been there and tried that - couldn't find the dark blue/yellow tracer wire for the life of me. Like I said, though, I don't understand what I'm missing not having the VSS wire connected as everything seems to work fine. I used a GPS software program on a PDA in cars for several years; it obviously didn't have a VSS connection to the cars it was mounted in and it too worked great.

Got it!! As others on here have stated, it is indeed a blue wire with a yellow tracer on it. Some call it "dark blue"; I wouldn't use the term "dark" - looks just plain "blue" with a yellow tracer to me. I found some of the descriptions on here as to where to find it somewhat vague; so here's my attempt - it's under the hood; left (passenger) side as you're looking at the engine. Now find the main fuse box at the front of the car, passenger side, just forward of the passenger-side strut tower - as you're looking at that fuse box, there's a module (some refer to it as the "PCM"; not sure if that's the right name for it or not) just on the right side of it. There's about three plugs, stacked vertically one on top of the other, going into this module. The blue wire/yellow tracer goes into the top plug of this module. (There's a plastic protective cap that snaps over the wires; just unsnap it from the top plug for easier access.) Tap into the blue wire/yellow tracer just back of the plug. You'll also see this wire below that module in a large bundled harness of wires; don't tap into it there - you'll need to connect to it right before it enters the module (don't ask me how I know). Anyway, speed pulse now works great on the AVIC-D1! Thanks to all for the assistance.