Woe is me - Engine Trouble

Takt

Jul 14, 2004
Madison, WI
After being in a good autobody shop for 3 months and a crappy one for over a year, I got my car back.

Before the body shop, bought new a 302 bored '40 over. I ran it with a single four barrel carb for three years, then decided I liked the look and installed a dual quad carb setup with two Holley 590 carbs (Had carbs rebuilt by a guy that I trust.). When it originally went into the crappy body shop, I don't remember it having overheating problems.

Again, car sat for a year and a half.

Now, I'm having a multitude of problems:
- Car overheating ... still creeps up when on the interstate. I've changed out the thermostat and radiator cap. Doesn't appear to be a water pump "issue".
- There was gas in the oil
- Did a compression test. PSI - 95, 70, 95, 95 ... 100, 95, 90, 80
- Looked up in motor book, compression should be 150?

I have one guy telling me I washed out the cylinders, carbs were too rich and the motor is junk (can drive it for a couple year, but not going to be pretty). He helped me lean it out.

To me, the car acts like it is very lean, but how did I wash out cylinders if lean? ARG!

• Sponsors (?)

with the compression numbers you have, i would say that the head gasket has failed. you also had too much fuel running down into the cylinders as well. change the oil, replace the head gaskets, and rebuild the carbs, better to use two 500 cfm edelbrock carbs though. get the float setting right on both carbs, and make sure you are getting no more than about 4 1/2 psi at the carb.