X-Pipe ????

• Sponsors (?)

No definate number, to many variables but in a nut shell you'll typically get more HP out of an offroad X rather then cats.

The tradeoff is the fact the Offroad has a horrible rasp and loses a little more low end torque but makes up for it up top.

you will lose TQ but it is directly proportionate to the HP you gain up top. Bassani is very very well made. I cant speak for Magnaflow but I do have their Catback and will say that I think Bassani is nicer...but its much more $$

StangPro said:
There's about zero difference in power on a NA car, and cars with cats sound and smell better.
I actually gained a substantial amount of hp from my x pipe. I dunno how.
Oh, and I have the off-road, and I love the smell a lot better (it is all based on preference) and I love the hallow sound of the exhaust (again, preference).

Most people will tell you to just get exhaust depending on your sound preference:

If you like a hallow ripping sound, get an O/R X. /* some people say it's a bit raspy with 2 chamber mufflers, but I don't know what they're talking about...I thought that's how Mustangs are supposed to sound */
If you like a solid ripping sound, get an X.
If you like a hallow rumbling sound, get an O/R H.
If you like a solid rumbling sound, get an H.
If you like a hallow mix between the two, get a O/R ProChamber.
If you like a solid mix between the two, get a ProChamber.

If I am wrong on any of these, someone please correct me.

From those that have taken the time to really try and measure HP gain, loss and shift, the difference is maybe 5 HP more. As someone already said, there are too many vairables. For you, an O/R X may do better, because you already have a chip and can take the car back in to be re-tuned so it's not pig rich at idle.

There will probably never be a real answer to this; too much money to prove or disprove. You'd need a 96-98 Mustang, a 99-01, and a 02-04, all stock, and all automatics for consistency. Then you'd need to baseline each on a 1/4 mile. After the baseline runs, start swapping exhaust systems, and re-run each under virtually identical weather conditions. Mathmatically, the combinations of midpipes and catbacks would be mind numbing. But, that would be real-world results; not what a dyno indicates. Dyno's are a great tuning and test tool, but we don't drive our 'Stang on rollers; we drive them in the real world.

Jerry