XCal2 Questions

I couldn't find a more appropriate forum for this, so I hope it goes here..
I'm thinking about buying the XCal2. I don't expect to see a huge gain, but I will be alternating wheels and tires somewhat frequently, plus I want the 2 step and the possibility of adding more for the future. My mods are in my sig. What I'm worried about is possible damage to the car from it running lean/rich as a result of the tune. Also, can you switch between the stock tune and the custom one? If so, how easily? This is really important, because I do a lot of highway driving and I'd prefer to keep using 87 until I wanted to go to the track or something, then fill up with premium and switch the tune. How does the 2 step work? One of my best friends drives a Honda (I know.. I know.) and he has Neptune which is sort of similar to the XCal. His doesn't have a programmer like the SCT though, he has get a dyno tune from the guy every time he wants to change. There is a shop around me with a couple of cool guys I met one time called Evolution Performance in PA. They sell the SCT XCal2 with all the new firmware and a tune (I think) for $380. Good price? I'm really looking for any advice you can give me, I've been searching quite a bit. Thanks in advance.
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I use the Predator in my Mustang but my Stepson has the SCT in his.

I will say the SCT does load the tunes a bit faster and yes you can switch back and forth from an 87 tune to a 93 tune in a matter of a few mins.

$380 is the a good price and seems par to a lot of places. My Stepson's cost was $379 and it came with 2 tunes. Plus he also got it with a Dynotune for a total of $499.

I'm not sure what you are asking about the 2-step. I know there is a 2 stage limiter you can put in the tune. An engine rev-limit say at 6000 RPMs and a pre-determined rev limit that works as long as the clutch is pushed in. That setting will not allow it to rev any higher than you set it at, say like 3000 RPMs. :shrug:

See inserted text.
Sublimize23 said:
I couldn't find a more appropriate forum for this, so I hope it goes here..
I'm thinking about buying the XCal2. I don't expect to see a huge gain, but I will be alternating wheels and tires somewhat frequently, plus I want the 2 step and the possibility of adding more for the future. My mods are in my sig. What I'm worried about is possible damage to the car from it running lean/rich as a result of the tune. [When you get a tune, make sure it isn't too rich or too lean. Then you won't have to worry. Most base tunes won't take you too rich or too lean anyway. They are generally safe to use right out of the box.] Also, can you switch between the stock tune and the custom one? If so, how easily? [You plug the device in, hit a few buttons. It takes about a minute.] This is really important, because I do a lot of highway driving and I'd prefer to keep using 87 until I wanted to go to the track or something, then fill up with premium and switch the tune. How does the 2 step work? [Two rev limiters are set. One for Neutral and one for In Gear. The neutral one might be set to 4000 or whatever RPM works best for your launch. The In Gear one will be set to the normal rev limiter. Like 6700. At the track, you push the clutch in and put the shifter in 1st. The EEC still thinks you're in Neutral. Hold the pedal down and it will rev up to 4000 and hold. When the last amber light comes on, you let off the clutch and your EEC now thinks you're in gear. It will let it rev up to 6700.] One of my best friends drives a Honda (I know.. I know.) and he has Neptune which is sort of similar to the XCal. His doesn't have a programmer like the SCT though, he has get a dyno tune from the guy every time he wants to change. There is a shop around me with a couple of cool guys I met one time called Evolution Performance in PA. They sell the SCT XCal2 with all the new firmware and a tune (I think) for $380. Good price? [The prices are regulated at $379. That's pretty standard. So really you want to shop around for a place that will provide great dealer support. It sounds like you have found one already.] I'm really looking for any advice you can give me, I've been searching quite a bit. Thanks in advance.
:SNSign:

Definitely test the tune right away, dont go to the track and load the Performance tune and haul ass down the track.

I ordered my XCal 2 from JMS and every single tune pinged like a mother. I have backed off timing quite a bit and it still does it under light accelleration in 4th or 5th. I cant put the stock tune back on bc I have gears and you cant alter the stock tune. So for now Im running the safe tune with 93 octane fuel until I am able to get a dyno tune and have the tuner creat custom tunes for my car.

BEST bet is to get a street or dyno tune. I know some places may be able to hit your tune pretty close by mail but I just didn't have a good experience with my mail order tune.

With the limited mods you have you won't see much in the way of gains but you will benefit from the gear or tires change function.

I had an Xcal2 but went with a switch chip when I got my tune. Probably similar to what your friend has...I'm not familiar with the Honda stuff...but yes, if I do upgrades I have to go back. The Xcal2 would be somewhat limited also so if you did any major upgrades you would have to have a new tune loaded.