zex vs trickflow

fiveohGT

Jun 22, 2004
Fairfax Virginia
okay i have a huge decision to make and a couple of questions.

Im deciding between a 125 shot zex wet kit with everything, purge, warmer, bottle opener, ect.

or trick flow h/c/i twisted wedge, stage 2 cam, and efi street intake.

What do i NEED to run the h/c/i. and by NEED i mean what do i HAVE to have. Can i run it on the stock tb? Do i have to upgrade the MAF? What do i absolutly need? I will eventually get the tb and maf and AFPR and fuel pump and injectors im just too impacient and wanna get the h/c/i on right away. So what do i need? Going this route costs more - and i would have to wait longer for some more money.

Which would u choose?

• Sponsors (?)

Stage 2 cam on a stock motor=bad
Stage 1 cam youo would need:

73-76 MAF
65-70 TB
AFPR
190L FP
24LB Injectors

take the H/C/I... realiable power ALL the time. Spraying an old engine could be bad news, plus with spray you will still need to get a bigger FP and AFPR.

Hows a stage 2 cam "bad for a stock motor"? He'll be using TW heads. Anyway, thats the wrong cam for a street heat intake, you'll need a track heat AND at a 410 gear. If you dont plan on either of the 2, you NEED a street heat. Get yourself a 75mm TB and do NOT listen to internet racers who say its "too big". Get 30lb injectors and an 80mm pro-m. I'd build up the engine before spraying. Thats exactly what I did, but I just sold my nitrous.

stage 2 will require new springs on the heads (acording to TF website), loss of low end torque....the stage 2 was the cam recommeded for a 331 I was thinking of building by Coast High Performance. I agree the stret intake is too small for the stage 2 cam.

I would replace the RR's and you will need new pushrods for the heads.

Ok, i think that the 2 arent even compaireable.

The zex kit is gonna total like $700ish (new/used) and the heads/cam/intake will run you like $2000 with labor. Why not meet in the middle and do an intake ($400), Throttle body ($190), MAF & 24s ($250), zex kit ($700) and then a set of gears and a AFPR... that will make you at about the $2000 estimate.

This way you can add some natural power and still get your zex kit too. then you can add the heads and cam later.

N8Miller said:
Ok, i think that the 2 arent even compaireable.

The zex kit is gonna total like $700ish (new/used) and the heads/cam/intake will run you like $2000 with labor. Why not meet in the middle and do an intake ($400), Throttle body ($190), MAF & 24s ($250), zex kit ($700) and then a set of gears and a AFPR... that will make you at about the $2000 estimate.

This way you can add some natural power and still get your zex kit too. then you can add the heads and cam later.

totally agree.. dont be scared of the hose