00 3.8L to a 5.0L enggine swap (plz no just buy dif stang)

brandon21

Aug 15, 2009
missouri
Long story made short I have a 00 stang with a 3.8l auto trans and was origanaly hired to intergrate the wiring. But when it was dropped off the 3.8L was still in and it has a 5.0L with an AOD trans attached to it from a 88 merk grand mark. When i finally got ahold of the costomer I was told the guy that was supposed to do the swap backed out on him and i told him i would have to check into it. I have read everything i can find on the new about it and told him the cheepest thing would be to find another car but he said he doesnt wanna do that. So i am trying to find someone that mave have done this or that can give me any help with what all is involved . I have already learned i have to change the front k frame but dont know what year i need one from. Pretty much any help i can get would be greatly appericated. PLZ excause the spelling errors.

• Sponsors (?)

nelson_haha.jpg

I beleive the AOD on the grand marquis is about 1" longer than the Mustang AOD, so you may need to shorten the driveshaft.

Unsure if the k-member needs to be changed. Some say the 3.8L kmember works and only the 4.6L V8 kmember needs to be changed.

Personally, if he hired you do do the wiring, that's all i would do. Even that's gonna be a PITA. Have someone else swap the engine in. It's not even a 5.0 HO motor. This swap is going to be more of a PITA than the money is worth.

Honestly , not to be a dick, but why bother, there is nothing about a new edge v6 so great that you would ABSOLUTELY need to keep. So I'd tell the guy to rethink what he's trying to do. He would be much better off in the long run to buy a fox or get a 4.6, especially if he's wanting to do a non-HO swap, seems pretty pointless to me

thanks for all the info. I will tell him to start looking for a 94-95 to be a donnor car. If I end up doing the project I will let every1 know and make a list of all the stuff i had to change and post it on here. thanks for all the info so far. always looking for more.

I beleive the AOD on the grand marquis is about 1" longer than the Mustang AOD, so you may need to shorten the driveshaft.

The Grand Marquis AOD is the same length as a Mustang AOD so that should work, I have one in my 93, out but the rest is gonna be a severe pain the the ass. Also the shift points, OD band servo and governor on the Grand Marquis AOD are gonna make the driver verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry unhappy with driving the car. He is gonna have a Mustang that shifts exactly like grandmas Grand Marquis.

That 3.8 auto trans will bolt up to the 5.0 just fine (and will be stronger too). What you then need to do is find out what needs to be converted to get it to worth with a 94-95 ECU, as there are a few electrical differences between an AODE and a 4r70w. Once you figure that out, the 94-95 auto ecu should be able to control the shifts the same as it does the AODE.

An alternative would be to pick up something along the lines of a Baumannator TCS and control the tranny independently of the ECU.

It might sound like a nightmare job but if you are getting paid hourly for it then thats a ****load of money (wasted) thats going into your pocket. Make sure to charge him for all the time you put into it. Including posting on the web with questions like this. This guy is obviously an idiot with lots of cash to burn. I just hope you didnt agree on a fixed price for the install. It will be slower as well. And he WILL be blaming you for all the bugs that he has with it in the future.