01 Cobra, Bullit or Mach 1

• Sponsors (?)

Why is everyone saying the Bullit is the best handling? First off, the Cobra has IRS, so handling will always go to the Cobra. Then comparing the Bullit to the Mach 1, the Mach has higher rate springs than a stock GT, Tokicos and subframes (maybe not the best of each, but better than nothing). If anything the Bullit is equal to the Mach in handling, not greater than. Plus the Mach has Brembo's, which are very nice.

Zinc03GT said:
Why is everyone saying the Bullit is the best handling? First off, the Cobra has IRS, so handling will always go to the Cobra. Then comparing the Bullit to the Mach 1, the Mach has higher rate springs than a stock GT, Tokicos and subframes (maybe not the best of each, but better than nothing). If anything the Bullit is equal to the Mach in handling, not greater than. Plus the Mach has Brembo's, which are very nice.

:stupid:

the bullit has IRS?

Zinc, the 03 Cobra has IRS and would still get beaten by a Mach on an autocross track...

It's not just IRS or Solid rear that tells all the story. There weight, power, bars, struts, tires, unsprung weight, etc...

mustangramair said:
I would go with the cobra. Sure the mach is a little faster but it also has better gearing. Put some gears in the cobra and it will be just as good or not a little better, the cobra has 320 hp. I have heard that the IRS is hard to luanch though. My brother has a 99 cobra and it is awesome

320??? :),

the mach1 was underrated if you didn't know. 320-330hp and more torque at more lower rpms. when are you going to use the irs, are you running scca or something like that???

the cobra would handle better than the mach due to the irs, but the mach would be better setup for the street/strip. get a 99/01 cobra and you would regret not having a rear live axel when having a camaro ss, or a bmw m3 besides you at a stoplight, and you would be trying to get them off the line when you're supposed to have the advantage, only to find out your tires are just bouncing while the other guy is putting 1 car over you, and killing your cobra top end. any car can be modified if you have enough money to keep up. i think the old cobra iron block would hold more boost than the aluminum block found on the mach. still if i want to supercharge my mach there are already options on the market for it. vortech has a kit for $6100 that would put the mach at 484hp and 420tq on stock internals.still the iron block would handle more boost than the mach. but if you really want to go with a supercharger, why not getting the 03 cobra to start with???, and if your're going to pay 20k or more for a used cobra or mach, why don't get a brand new mach for 25k???.
just to give you another reason to think about it :)

for me, is not about how good the car can handle on the twsties,(the sad part is, a stock 350 would spank any cobra on the twisties with 240rwhp :(), but how well i can put all the power i have available to the ground, and the mach 1 does it better than the cobra or the bullit.

whatever you choose, have fun with it.

Dog bite said:
the bullit has IRS?

Zinc, the 03 Cobra has IRS and would still get beaten by a Mach on an autocross track...

It's not just IRS or Solid rear that tells all the story. There weight, power, bars, struts, tires, unsprung weight, etc...

:rlaugh: Yeah right :rolleyes: A Mach wouldn't "beat" a Cobra on the twisties

I never said the Bullit had IRS, I said the Cobra (all Cobras 99+)...I was comparing the Bullit and the Mach as they are closer...and is my mom driving that 03 Cobra that's getting beaten by the Mach?

Dog bite said:
the bullit has IRS?

maybe a supercharged mach, but without irs, stock vs stock it would be only a dream :)

I know I might catch some flak for this but honestly, I get tired of people bringing up the "twisties" argument, I mean what the hell, how many people race through turns and what not?? I mean I'd guess most of the average Joes who race wether legally or illegally care more about who will win in a straightline contest vs. racing around turns. I know there are dedicated road racers/auto x'ers out there but they are few compared to the rest of us who mostly go to the dragstrip or run some stoplight contests. Unless you're dedicated racer what's the difference if car A handles that much better then car B? How many times have u raced somebody and won, then had them ask u to go race down a country winding road :shrug: Me personally never. :shrug:

I think the Danger just multiplies with turns espcially with all these monstrous horsepowered cars coming out these days. Not to mention out of the hundreds of videos I've seen, I say about 95% are 1/4 track runs or highway punches and once there are turns or traffic the brakes are mashed. :spot:

Well,
I'm up in Montreal and to be honest there aren't that many fast cars (M3, etc) and the chances I'll ever come up to one at a light is rather small. I just like accelerating for fun and yes there are a lot of twisties and the highway exchangers are not made like in the states...

in the states, most off ramps are parallel to the main road but here, most off ramps go in circles... hence you would have 1 big circle at each of the corners (NE, NW, SE, SW).

I mentioned autocross as in closed course with cones, the Mach would win due to lower weight prolly. You are not going fast enough to use the cobra's power advantage and too slow to really make a huge difference with the IRS, hence, the lighter weight car most prolly would win. ON the highway though, in twisties, the cobra would beat it easilly.

Maybe only a few times will I go to the 1/4 for kicks.
I don't street race but people and I do drive rather fast and above the limit here, especially in turns and my current 96GT (with stock suspension mind you) gives me the chills sometimes. I love my GT but coming from a fully modded 91 Volks GTi that was on rails with 1G+ cornering, it's a big difference for me... Sounds like I'm leaning towards the cobra, but the Mach is still lingering right there in my mind.

CatmanJJ said:
I know I might catch some flak for this but honestly, I hate when people bring up the "twisties" argument, I mean what the hell, how many people race through turns and what not?? I mean I'd guess most of the average Joes who race wether legally or illegally care more about who will win in a straightline contest vs. racing around turns. I know there are dedicated road racers/auto x'ers out there but they are few compared to the rest of us who mostly go to the dragstrip or run some stoplight contests. Unless you're dedicated racer what's the difference if car A handles that much better then car B? How many times have u raced somebody and won, then had them ask u to go race down a country winding road :shrug: Me personally never. :shrug:

I think the Danger just multiplies with turns espcially with all these monstrous horsepowered cars coming out these days. Not to mention out of the hundreds of videos I've seen, I say about 95% are 1/4 track runs or highway punches and once there are turns or traffic the brakes are mashed. :spot:

So true.

I used to love driving way to fast down winding country roads when I had my old 4 cylinder. It took a lot of effort to get that thing up to 85 mph. I used to be an idiot when I was young with the car. Then I bought my GT. The most I do now in it is some spirited driving. I was into autox and winding roads when I first got it, but after a few close calls that were to close I stopped driving like that. The problem is that my GT is just too fast for that kind of stuff on a public road with other drives and unpredicatable animals that may run out in front of you. Before going 65 mph on a moderately twisty road felt like 100 mph. However, with the GT 65 mph on a twisty road feels more like 40 mph. To get that same feeling of going fast down a twisty road I actually have to go fast. Instead of that 65 mph the GT is doing more like 100+ mph, and that is just too damn dangerous. I found myself going so fast that if anything did happen I was probably going to end up dead.

My point is that for 99% of mustang owners there is not going to be much of a difference in handling between the different models. Atleast not enough to make a fuss about. The only time you will really see and appricaite the handling difference is on an autox or road track. Saying one is better than the other when not at a track is pretty much meaningless. In the end the 99% of mustang owners own there car becasue it is fast not becasue it can handle well. If you want a car that can handle well then get a rice burner :D

Dog bite said:
Well,
I don't street race but people and I do drive rather fast and above the limit here, especially in turns and my current 96GT (with stock suspension mind you) gives me the chills sometimes. I love my GT but coming from a fully modded 91 Volks GTi that was on rails with 1G+ cornering, it's a big difference for me...

I would say get the car you want for power, styling, and comfort. Do not worry about the handling. The handling part can be fixed with a set of $150-$250 aftermarket springs. When I got my GT the first mod I did was put on a set of $150 FMS "C" springs. It was like I got a completely new car. The car looked 10x better with out that 4x4 look, and it handle 100x better. I even autox it about 10-15 times that way. Even won my class with it once.

I think the mach sounds just like what you want. I would buy one myself, but I think they are ugly. I really do not like all the black accients and stickers all over it. Not to mentino I think the wheels are ugly. I wish it looked just like a GT with out all that extra crap, but had the shaker hood scoop painted to match rather than just flat black.

99redcamaro said:
320??? :),

the mach1 was underrated if you didn't know. 320-330hp and more torque at more lower rpms. when are you going to use the irs, are you running scca or something like that???

the cobra would handle better than the mach due to the irs, but the mach would be better setup for the street/strip. get a 99/01 cobra and you would regret not having a rear live axel when having a camaro ss, or a bmw m3 besides you at a stoplight, and you would be trying to get them off the line when you're supposed to have the advantage, only to find out your tires are just bouncing while the other guy is putting 1 car over you, and killing your cobra top end. any car can be modified if you have enough money to keep up. i think the old cobra iron block would hold more boost than the aluminum block found on the mach. still if i want to supercharge my mach there are already options on the market for it. vortech has a kit for $6100 that would put the mach at 484hp and 420tq on stock internals.still the iron block would handle more boost than the mach. but if you really want to go with a supercharger, why not getting the 03 cobra to start with???, and if your're going to pay 20k or more for a used cobra or mach, why don't get a brand new mach for 25k???.
just to give you another reason to think about it :)

for me, is not about how good the car can handle on the twsties,(the sad part is, a stock 350 would spank any cobra on the twisties with 240rwhp :(), but how well i can put all the power i have available to the ground, and the mach 1 does it better than the cobra or the bullit.

whatever you choose, have fun with it.
Iron block in the cobra? are you talking 99 becuase they had aluminum :rolleyes:

the bullitt does handle better then the mach 1, and better then a stock GT. The bullitt is lower, has tokico struts, stiffer springs then a GT, and has subframes. Plus its lower then the mach 1, and the mach 1's suspension is made for drag racing, not handling. meaning the mach 1's ride is softer, and made for better weight transfer. ive driven 2003 GT's, and they roll allot more through the turns then my bullitt. Also, the bullitts center of gravity is lower in the car then the mach 1. Im not a road racer, or a track racer. But the bullitt handles very well in the turns. Majority of my driving is not racing, therefor i choose to enjoy great handling when i hit the turns. I dont race around turns..my races are 1/4 mile, light races, or races from a roll on the highway. (the last not by choice, id rather race from a dig) Theres more to the whole experience then just straight line runs. Id rather have looks, great handling, and good power. Im not ALL about straight out speed. IHO.
Mike

All are awesome, and have unique properties about them. If it were me, I'd get the one I could get the best deal on and go from there. Afterall, we all know what the aftermarket has for these cars.

BullittStangV8 said:
the bullitt does handle better then the mach 1, and better then a stock GT. The bullitt is lower, has tokico struts, stiffer springs then a GT, and has subframes.

Stock GT yes, Mach 1 no. The Mach has stiffer springs than a GT, Tokicos and subframes as well. The Bullit and Mach are most likely even on handling. I like the Bullit, so I'm not knocking it or trying to burst your bubble, just stating facts to help the decision. Plus, as noted before, the Brembos are a bonus.