01 Cobra problems

BmOnEy

Founding Member
Jun 6, 2002
Marietta, GA
A friend of mine just had a tree fall on his 2002 Nissan Sentra Spec V and totaled it. So he is looking for a new car. He found an 01 cobra going for 18,900 with low mileage and was wondering what to look for in the way of problems. Are there any known problems that this year cobras have had or anything in particular he should look for? I'm not very familiar with the cobras so I told him I would check into it. Thanks for any input and opinions.
Brian :flag: :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, a small handful of '01 came with engines that pinged while under moderate-to-heavy load. I'm guessing the seller doesn't own a "pinger," but it might be worth asking/checking into if you hear any "marbles" under the hood during the test drive.

The biggest beef that many '01 owners will probably have is the TR-3650 transmission. Some have experienced excessive notchiness while shifting gears, while other 01 owners have had no problems whatsoever. The 3650's seem like a "hit or miss" transmission, advise your friend to pay careful attention to this, as well as a really "clunky drivetrain."
I should also say that a slight amount of "notchiness" when the tranny is cold is acceptable and can be helped along by changing the trans fluid (GM Synchromesh/Redline/etc), but if it is a severe problem, the case might need to be opened up (synchros/forks/etc).

G'luck :cheers:

I had no problems really with my '01. The stuff I did have issues with could of happened to anyone (power window motor quit working, rear pinion seal leaked). No problems with the tranny & no pinging issues. I loved that car & figured I'd have it 'till I was a old (older,lol) man. But plans sometimes change.

Whoever buys my old '01 from the dealer will be getting one sweet ride already tastfully modded. I had a couple of things pulled off, but the rest stayed, wasn't worth the labor to remove.

I'd follow COBRA90GT'S suggestions on looking over the car. There really wasn't much concerns with the '01 like there was with the early 03's. If it's at a Ford dealer, have them pull a report on the car. I think it's called a OASIS report. It shows any & all service work done to the car, warranty or otherwise, by a Ford dealership.

I just bought an 01 Cobra about a month ago. My tranny isn't notchy but the driveshaft does seen to clunk abit. Is this a bad problem? Oh and no pinging so I am good there.

my tranny was a little notchy and the drivetrain sounded a little weird, but once the mods came along and the car got faster. . . . .. . i really dont complain!!! The cobra is a nice car, ricer's dont stand a chance :puke: Rice Burners

Bought mine used about a year ago. No problems other than the tranny "notchiness" when cold. After warming up, it's smooth. No pinging thought a few have it. Love the car!! While the 5.0 LX was light and quick, this car is "all around." Good suspension, brakes, acceleration, interior. A very sweet ride. Also, might have a carfax run on it just for accident data. I did and it's only $15 or so right on line. Well worth the peace of mine.

LOL

No probs with mine other than the 3650 notchiness.. Dealer "replaced" one 3650 a few months after buying the vehicle.. But it's notchy still.. (I should of marked the transmission to ensure they swapped it)

The only other issue I have is the throw bearing .. it gets pretty noisy depending on the temps outside.. Spring and Fall are the worst. Dealer fixed it once but it came back.. Dealer said they replaced the clutch assy .. But I think they just greased the bearing..

Good info in this thread.

If you do have a pinger, a good tuner can take car of it.

mine does it under certain conditions (cold weather, hard acceleration) and talked to Jerry from SCT about it, he stated he had tuned many 01 pinger and its easy to fix, he even told me what values needed to be changed, but I don't have a means of having them done at this time..

my friend decided against the cobra and he's getting a dodge neon srt-4 :bang: i guess it was a false sense of hope that he was going to get a car with potential. oh well.
thanks for the info anyways.
Brian