'02 Bolt ons

NJohc

Jul 1, 2010
Hey guys,
Im 16 and get my license soon so I've been looking for a car. My dad has an Mach 1 and I found a blue 2002 Gt for a decent price. My first mod was going to be a full Roush suspension kit but that's already done to it. My question is what is the avg power these put to the ground with full exhaust (long tubes and xpipe and steeda catback) and cai. I've seen a lot dyno at the 260 mark and from what I could tell it was at least a cai and catback. Thanks fir any info.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome and thats awesome that the rents are allowing you to get a Stang as your first car. Mine wouldn't:fuss: Anyways the key is getting the power to the ground. I'm glad to see that someone your age is smartly thinking about suspension first. Thats key to power getting to the pavement. I've seen many full bolt-on PI's do 260 on the dyno also. Since this thing already has a full (what makes it full btw) suspension, the next thing should be FLSFC's then gears. After that go for the header back exhaust and skip the intake. Just get a K&N filter and remove the snorkel. After that dude your gonna be chittin' and gittin'. You'll probably want a short throw and a tuner as well.

Thanks,
Yea I figured I'd get used to the power before I did any power mods and just work on the handling and brakes. They said it has a full roush suspension kit so Im assuming that's the swaybar, springs, shocks and whatever else I forget comes with that. I really liked the sound of the xpipe after my dad got all his mods done.I know it'll sound different on a 2v car though. All the cars with bassani xpipes at mustang week really sounded good to me so I might do that, if I even have the money! lol But hopefully it checks out good when we go to drive it and Ill have it by this weekend.

To tell you the truth I don't think its a good idea to get a mustang or sports car as your first car (I'm not saying your a bad driver). You need to drive for a few years first. I had a 94 Carolla for five years as my first car then bought my mustang.

Good to see that Im not the only one who had a Mustang as their first car. I was treated to a brand spankin' new 2001 GT 10 years ago when I turned 16 :nice:

e1dcia.jpg

GOD I miss her so much :cry:

I got my GT when I was 18. As long as you're responsible and can learn the characteristics of the car in a safe manner, you'll be fine.

I would have had a 5.0 at 16 but dealer wouldn't work with me on the price.

Sounds like you're on the right track with bolt ons.

For brakes, I'd seriously suggest biting the bullet up front and going in for a Bullitt/Cobra/Mach (they're the same) brake setup. Even if you only do the front calipers, rotors, pads, lines, and leave the GT brakes in the back, you'll get a nice improvement.

Thanks guys
My dad wanted me to drive an svt focus first but since I'm buying the car with my money he left the final decision up to me. He said he'd teach me some tips. He's raced and driven a lot of things for 30 years,but obviously it's not going to make up for my lack of experience.They are able to make more power with just bolt ons than i thought actually. Nice car too Nightfire, that's not stock suspension is it?

Well it sounds like you have your bolts in a box, as I do (I'm 18)
Congrats, now we can start giving teenagers a better rep (especially the ones who do own mustangs)
My first car was a 1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible (bought just before I turned 16).
I bought the mustang when I was 17
While I'm on the subject, that is one thing that does bother me about kids my age. their parents buy them a really nice car and they destroy it (Nightfire, I'm sure that it was quite the opposite with you when your parents bought you your stang, especially judging by the pictures of it)
I can happily say I have bought, paid insurance, gas, repair bills on every car I've owned to date.
I know for a fact my kids will have to buy their own car cause I'm not paying for it. I believe this teaches them the value of the thing they are buying.
:nice:

Congrats on the soon to be new car! I also got my first Mustang when I was 16, so as long as you have a brain in your head, which it sounds like you do, you'll be fine. I paid for my car, pay all my insurance, gas, repairs, mods, etc also, so I know how it is buying your first car. It's a very satisfying feeling getting the keys for the first time, especially since you've paid for it. Good luck man, and I wouldn't be long time stangnet member without pulling this out:

:worthlesb