03-04 Cobras vs. GTO'S

EXTRPR50

Founding Member
Oct 7, 1998
Is there any article or site that has the breakdown on the two going against each other. Some video would be great. Or I would just settle for some qtr. times on each, 0-60, etc.

• Sponsors (?)

EXTRPR50 said:
Is there any article or site that has the breakdown on the two going against each other. Some video would be great. Or I would just settle for some qtr. times on each, 0-60, etc.
:nice: Go to ls1gto.com for the info on the 5.7 and 6.0 GTOs. Then got to svtperformance for the info on 03/04 Cobras.

info

Go to the race track! Cobras are kicking GTO Butt LOL

I have seen a few really fast Turbo Charged GTOs.

At this point it is actually hard to find a 100% stock Cobra at the track. Also keep in mind that it takes some real practice to launch either car because of the IRS and TQ so finding accurate info from any source is tough.

In general I havent seen a GTO beat a Cobra and they tend to run slower than the numbers posted here...from what I have seen at the track.

I have not had any problems with GTO's, they are not as quick from a stop, and do not pull as hard up to 120 mph (maybe more). I have taken them in cobra stock and with the mods listed in my sig.

ahhh

Only highly modded gtos pose a threat. (TURBO)

I am so impressed with the fact that four years after I bought my cobra and with only bolt on mods...actually only a 2.80 upper pulley was all I needed to keep my car more than competitive for this long. I figrued by now I would need more power to keep up but thats not the case.

Stock the cobra is faster but with so little the cobra is still faster than just about everything else out there. The only thing competitive with a cobra are vettes only the new Z06 really.

I video taped an 03 Cobra against on 06 GTO. The 03 Cobra smoked the GTO 3 times. Once from a dead stop, the second and third times from a rolling start. The Cobra had a 2.8 pullie and a tune and the GTO had exhaust and some other bolt ons.

uhhh

You know what I really hate are these people that compare some completely rebuilt IMPOrt to a Mustang and go on and on about how fast the import is.

There is a difference between a REBUILT car and a MODDED or MODIFIED car you know?? but most people compare the two.

SORRY maybe I should start a thread.. uhhhh watched the Speed Channel last night...they should just call it the IMP CHANNEL

Miklowcic said:
You know what I really hate are these people that compare some completely rebuilt IMPOrt to a Mustang and go on and on about how fast the import is.

There is a difference between a REBUILT car and a MODDED or MODIFIED car you know?? but most people compare the two.

SORRY maybe I should start a thread.. uhhhh watched the Speed Channel last night...they should just call it the IMP CHANNEL

you know i think i saw that same thing. it was that Nopi Tunervision crap and they had this "big bad" supra and they only showed the runs where it beat the mustangs. I would really like to see supras, rx-7's and Z cars go up against the upper tier Pro 5.0 cars. I mean 8's and 9's for a V6 still aint bad but its along way from 6's.

yeah

I raced some imports last night at englishtown. Even when I missed shifts they didnt come close. They were modified imports though...not completely rebuilt and gutted.

Also raced a Pontiac Supercharged Grand Prix. They are pretty quick for a big car. The guy had a smaller pulley and was running 13s

Well I will state this. I have raced 3 gtslows and beat all 3. 1 was the 5.7 and the other 2 were 6.0's. Grip was harder for the gto to achieve tho. but regardless my buddies 04 cobra has a sct tune a jlt intake a lightning pulley and a little bit of suspension work and he pulls ahead of me after 65-70mph.

it's not even a contest. the gto is a sedan with a big v8 tossed into it. the engineering between the two cars is completely different. its like apples and oranges.
get a marauder and line it up against a gto. that's more of a fair fight.

SVT98Snake said:
that's stretching it....marauders are 15 sec cars

I just watched a marauder the other day haul ass down the local 1/8 strip. Given, it had a blower on it, but the thing was running 7.90's. Pretty damn fast. Couple years ago I watched a guy with an 03 cobra with pulley, exhaust, predator tuner, intake running 8.0's...if that gives you any idea how fast that marauder was.