03 Cobra HP estimate

03 SVT VERT

Jun 7, 2004
I've got an '03 Cobra Vert with K&N filter and Flowmaster catback setup. What do you think I am at in crank HP? Also, a buddy of mine has one of the new 400hp vette convertables in automatic (non-Z51 package, but with all the luxery stuff). Who would you honestly say has the faster car in, say, the 1/8 and the 1/4 mile? Everyone says his car is faster, but I really think it would be pretty close.

• Sponsors (?)

03 SVT VERT said:
I've got an '03 Cobra Vert with K&N filter and Flowmaster catback setup. What do you think I am at in crank HP? Also, a buddy of mine has one of the new 400hp vette convertables in automatic (non-Z51 package, but with all the luxery stuff). Who would you honestly say has the faster car in, say, the 1/8 and the 1/4 mile? Everyone says his car is faster, but I really think it would be pretty close.

I haven't posted in a while but here's what I think, being a former 03 Cobra owner who replaced it with a brand new shiny red C6 Corvette. Though I have an M6 (Z51 option), it feels very much like my 03 Cobra did with a cai and cat-back exhaust. I'm guessing my Cobra would have dyno'ed, like many Cobra's with the same mods, in the 390-400rwhp range while my stock Vette is probably in the 340rwhp range but weighs about 500lbs less.

I looked up some times on corvetteforum.com of C6 auto's in the 1/4 mile. The non-Z51 optioned Vettes have different gearing but I think you can still get the 3.15 gears as an option. The times I found were for auto's with the 3.15 gears, hard-top:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

There were more times but these were the best I found from stock auto's. Perhaps a convertable with non-3.15 gears will be a bit slower. So I say it should be a drivers race between your car and your buddies, all else being equal.

A friend of my neighbor works for SLP so he could get me a good deal on their stuff. How is the SLP pulley and tuner (DiabloSport II)? Is it reliable? Will it ruin anything? Will it void my warrentee? How is it to install? And finally, how much HP? (hopefully atleast 450RWHP/500 crank hp)

I would get the pulley kit and tool, the belt, and the tuner. Is that all I need? Do I need to upgrade anything else to keep up with the power?

Thank you very much!

feed him a really big lunch and have one of your larger(aka fat) friends sit in his vette and youll win. i think the diablo adds something like 7%-12%hp increase (basically around 30-35hp) but i dunno about the pulley

03 SVT VERT said:
A friend of my neighbor works for SLP so he could get me a good deal on their stuff. How is the SLP pulley and tuner (DiabloSport II)? Is it reliable? Will it ruin anything? Will it void my warrentee? How is it to install? And finally, how much HP? (hopefully atleast 450RWHP/500 crank hp)

I would get the pulley kit and tool, the belt, and the tuner. Is that all I need? Do I need to upgrade anything else to keep up with the power?

Thank you very much!

you could do all that, but you don't need to, if all you want to do is beat a near stock vette, go to the track and practice, you already have plenty car to smoke him. Most vette drivers suck, at least the ones I have seen at the track. sure there is always the guy with the cammed thumper, DR's and actually knows how to walk it out from a dig, just rare. If you take your spare out, put 24-26 lbs in the back F1's, 40-45 in the front, turn your traction control off, take out your passenger side headlamp so the K&N can get cold air, bring a helmet, launch around 2-2500 rpm and practice your car will go 12.5 pretty easy.
:hail2:
All this modding will rapidly make it illegal at the track because it will go too damn fast, the verts are illegal totally stock, I think a 12 sec vert is supposed to have a bar. So just go to the track, let it cool down good between runs until you do the cooling mods and have some fun and practice launching an IRS car, it ain't easy. You will already be in one of the fastest cars at a test'n'tune, so before you drop a bundle, try what you already have, it might be all you need. Just my 2 cents.

- 04_snake

It isn't so much beating him, really I more want to destroy him. He just bought the car so he could have something better then me, same color and everything. He does this often, so I wanted to destroy him then bust on him about paying twice as much for such a slow car. I want there to be no doubt that it is faster. :hail2: I usually don't care, but I think this time he needs it and it wont cost me much to do (plus I get some more power for my own fun). :D

03 SVT VERT said:
It isn't so much beating him, really I more want to destroy him. He just bought the car so he could have something better then me, same color and everything. He does this often, so I wanted to destroy him then bust on him about paying twice as much for such a slow car. I want there to be no doubt that it is faster. :hail2: I usually don't care, but I think this time he needs it and it wont cost me much to do (plus I get some more power for my own fun). :D

I'll be honest, being a former 03 Cobra owner, IMO, he bought the better car. It cost more money for a reason. Look at the times I listed, an auto Vette isn't exactly a slow car and if it's Z51 optioned, it's going to run hard in the corners. Now bang for the buck, straight line performance, you have it there and should be able to add a pulley and tune to beat him in the quarter.