03 Cobra kook long tubes leaking

Vic_Ferrari

Sep 25, 2003
lake mary, FL
The long tube install went ok and it DOES make great power, despite rumors that they don't work.

I'm having a problem with a leak at the flange....where the 4 individual tubes slide into the collector. The exhaust sounds great, but the leak sounds like crap and I'm having trouble chasing it.

Gasket sealer only lasts a day or so and I really don't want to weld the collector.
Anyone have this problem?
I talked to Sean at JDM and he said you need to slide the colletor past the stock holes and drill new ones......already done. It still leaks.

Has anyone had this issue?

Jay at Lamotta did the install, and I was under the car with him......it was installed correctly.

I will weld it if I have to. If there's one thing I can not tolerate it's an exhaust leak.

Any ideas?

Vic

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same problem with my Hookers on the drivers side where the 2 rear primaries slip fit into the collector...I'd like to know also...I was going to try the gasket maker but if you say that didn't do the trick, I'd like to knowa trick that would work...

My Kooks fit fine and I don't have a leak at the collector. My collector fit on to the tubes really hard. I had to line up the tubes and then tap the collector on with a piece of wood so I don't dent it. The heat coating made for the tight fit.

JB weld is the ****zznit man! Worth at least 5+ HP at the wheels... I say go for it Vic!

In all seriousness though.... My gasket between the midpipe and my JBA's blew out after 600 miles. Tech used the crappy impregnated gasket that came with the JBA's instead of a Ford OEM metal gasket. I couldn't stand that exhaust leak sound at all either! Went to the local performance muffler shop and replaced the gasket in about 20 minutes. I feel your pain.....

U.M.

U.M.

I made sure to use the metal gaskets at the heads, with locking hardware.
If it leaked there I'd go insane.....
The gaskets after the collector are also ok. I wish that was the problem....

BTW.....get outtahere with those dynojet #'s! =o)
With the dynojet correction I'm making 500Hp at the tire and well over 500ft-lbs of torque.
The way they calculate power is seriously out of whack!
(there is seriously a dynojet correction button on my dyno software....lol)
I always watch it and laugh as I see the "real" numbers, which are always lower.

I think I'm gonna fix the damn collector myself once the dyno building construction crew is all cleaned up on that side of the building and I can get my car back on the drive-on lift....

Vic

Vic_Ferrari said:
U.M.

BTW.....get outtahere with those dynojet #'s! =o)
With the dynojet correction I'm making 500Hp at the tire and well over 500ft-lbs of torque.

Vic

Sorry Vic, but Dynojet SAE numbers are the "De Facto" standard on the internet today. Doesn't matter if that's right, wrong, or indifferent.

I tell ya what though....you pay for my gas and I'll drive down there to your place for my next dyno session! ;)

U.M.

Do you really want to taint your numbers like that?
Then again.....I could get you a "real" tune and make some real power =o)

If you do a calculation off our dyno and go to the track, the MPH reflects the #'s we get.
Hop on a dynojet, go to the track and you're off by a couple MPH...

....and of course your e/t shows driver skill, the MPH shows HP!