'03 Cobra SB with 2V heads?

• Sponsors (?)

I think there is quite a bit different on them. Pully location and how the heads bolt up I may be wrong but I don't think is an easy or even possible to do. If it was I would think more people would be doing it.

Why not just buy a forged shortblock from someone thats made for a 2V

Yes it will work. But you will need a different front cover. I know there are some odds and ends....and I think it mainly has to do with front accessories and the front cover. If your car is a mid 01-04 GT then you will need a new flywheel as they have 6 bolt cranks. Cobras and 99-mid01 GTs got 8 bolt cranks and flywheels will interchange.

Thats from what I recall....could be more or less involved.

You can swap his front cover onto the Cobra block. '03/04 Cobra block is identical to the GT block, except for the added bulkhead machining for the forged crank. The ONLY difference he'll see is the 8-bolt flywheel and the oil pickup tube that is 4V only (different diameter tube at the interface with the oil pump).

Bolt up and enjoy, as jprovence said. ;)

Wow that is a lot of conflicting opinions on parts and such but I'm going to go with the "change the flywheel and put on the old front cover and go" route. BTW I have the Romeo enginge in my car, it's an '03, but I have P&P Windsor heads to go on the Cobra block so I will need to change the flywheel. I can't wait to put it together and run a 14# pulley. Well at least while its cool down here. I might need to drop it back a bit when the summer heat and humidity come back.
Thanks for all your help. I'll post pics of the build and finished numbers when it's done. Which might be a few months.

Imo, i think your stripping its balls away when your converting a cobra to a powerful GT im my head. It seems like you will be better off, leaving all the goodies on a gt, because its lighter, and have a solid axle, geared for drag racing. A cobra is just the opposite...just my opinion.

Imo, i think your stripping its balls away when your converting a cobra to a powerful GT im my head. It seems like you will be better off, leaving all the goodies on a gt, because its lighter, and have a solid axle, geared for drag racing. A cobra is just the opposite...just my opinion.

he isnt doing anything like that. he is buying a cobra short block, that does not include heads. it isthe same as buying a forged bottom end from any other source