03 cobra t-lok problem???

viridionplague

Oct 8, 2007
so not long ago i upgraded my rear end, i went with an 03 cobra t-lok, 31 splines, and 3:73 gears. about a month later i upgraded my rims and tires for the summer and picked up some kuhmo ecsta mx tires, 275 up front and 295 out back.

so 2 weeks ago me and a friend were hanging out enjoying our cars, as we decided to whip a few doughnuts in a parking lot before calling it a night.

low and behold however, no doughnuts for me, the outside tire just stuck and the inside spun like mad.:shrug:

i chaulked this up to lots of weight/grip and a big sticky tire on the outside, and not enough power.

earlier today i tried doing a 180 to turn around in the rain and the same thing happend. in a strait line she get squirly pretty easy but it seems when turning the outside tire just sticks even in the rain.

what are the chances this is due to a bad install or a defective unit???
or maybe the way the solid rear for 4 link works against it???

hopefully someone can offer some advice as i would like to be about to do a doughnut every once and a while.

• Sponsors (?)

The "One Wheel Peel" usually means your t-lok needs to be rebuilt. The clutch plates are worn out so it's not transferring torque to both wheels. It's like not having a t-lok at all, I believe.

Whats it do in a straight line burnout? Then it should spin both for sure. Your t-lok is a limited slip, which transfers power to the wheel 'with the most traction' which, if you are rapidly traveling in a circle will be the inside tire, so it makes sense that would spin, wait, can that thing really be that underpowered it can't slide around? really?

this is a 03 cobra t-lok with the cf clutches, bought it new and has around 1,500 miles on it.

it is still solid axle, just has the mods in my sig

in a strait line it will spin both tires.

i actualy have not tried this in both directions. only in"left turn" circles.

ive only seem'd to have this problem specificaly when doing doughnuts, sometime tomorrow in give it a shot in the other direction, and have my gf come with to verify both wheels spinning in a strait line

I have the eaton limited slip, which should operate the same, so I just tried mine on a quiet industrial cul de sac by work. Spins both sides, makes lots o' smoke. Dont understand why it would do anything else. are you really giving that thing hell? Could you get a running start at it and see what happens? Start off with a nice straight line burnout, get it rolling a little, then throw the wheel all the way to the left and see what happens.

im pretty easy on the car most of the time, i live in a small town so there is nothing going on and the roads realy arnt that great.

also sometimes when going around corners the inside tire will slip a touch.

going to try the strait line burnout tirn thing here in a bit