'03 Cobra

I'd folow Eric's advice and go turbo, keep your 95, there's a lot of love invested in it and you already have most of the good parts in it. Or you could go with one of those KB's that come up on ebay.

Yeah we all know Paul was soo afraid of the power in his gt that he sold it for a BMW :D.
Dont even mention it :bang: even though the bimmer is a nice ride I miss the stang and the fun I had with it. :(

• Sponsors (?)

Darkness said:
I'd folow Eric's advice and go turbo, keep your 95, there's a lot of love invested in it and you already have most of the good parts in it. Or you could go with one of those KB's that come up on ebay.
Love? If that means cussin, swearin, pissin, moanin, and so on... then I love this car dearly! :nice:

:rlaugh:

Dave

Darkness said:
WTF is wrong with you....smokin again??? Didnt you see the smilie face? :rolleyes: Whatever! I guess you have issues with your car....
We're all having fun here and you just trip like that! :nonono:

Sorry bro ..heheheh here it is ...damn I knew i left something out :) :banana:

No worries bro ...just a shot back across the bow :D

Pssst ...buy the 03 ....

red88

HairyCanary said:
I put a bid on a ZINC YELLOW (haha Ed) '03 Cobra on eBay. :rlaugh: I have no expectation of getting it, however, because I know the reserve price (about $31k) and I didn't bid anywhere *near* that. Just bid on it for kicks. As long as Thomason has their reserve price over 30k for that car, it'll *never* sell...
O M G ...Dave its a good thing I was sitting down when I read that....Ok now I take back everything I was thinking and half of what I said...lol :) j/k..I thinks its great your thinking about a 03 cobra....even if it is for sh... and giggles :nice:

Toddzilla said:
That's an oxy-moron if I ever heard one. :lol:
:rlaugh:

I talked to Will about that turbo kit last night. I might go for that. But I have my concerns:

1. It's old, like 8 or 9 years according to Will... and the turbo header would cost a lot to replace if it cracks. It hasn't yet, but I'm guessing it will eventually.
2. Have to replace the 2.5" downpipe with a 3" one (partly for size, partly to get one that would work with my existing X and H pipe)
3. Turbo is how old? That's $1000 to replace if it wears out anytime soon. Granted, turbos last a while, but this is an unknown variable for me.

So I don't know yet, still thinkin. Lots of time to do that, though, Will wants to keep the kit a couple more months, and I don't have a tranny yet that could withstand the abuse of the turbo.

Dave

Personally, a turbo is awesome when it's working right, but just make sure you have the patience and the money to deal with one.

They are RARELY just a bolt on and go affair.

On top of that, I'd be suprised if your car didn't put down close to 500 rwhp with one.

While at first glance I'd think "wow, 500 rwhp kicks ass" I really think "500 rwhp, what a pain in the ass!"

You will most likely be constantly screwing with the car....forever.

But it will make a lot of power.....you just need to put it to the ground.

Then if you ever want to opentrack/autox the car, it will be grossly overpowered (there is such a thing), and you will most likely have issues melting things under your hood unless you do a good job of sheilding burnable things.

etc. etc. etc.

Not trying to rain on the parade, just trying to provide some balance to the conversation.

Toddzilla said:
Personally, a turbo is awesome when it's working right, but just make sure you have the patience and the money to deal with one.

They are RARELY just a bolt on and go affair.
actually it is, as long as you have some self restraint and don't get too much power lust...but you are correct people with that kind of restraint are rare :D
Toddzilla said:
On top of that, I'd be suprised if your car didn't put down close to 500 rwhp with one.

While at first glance I'd think "wow, 500 rwhp kicks ass" I really think "500 rwhp, what a pain in the ass!"

You will most likely be constantly screwing with the car....forever.

But it will make a lot of power.....you just need to put it to the ground.

Then if you ever want to opentrack/autox the car, it will be grossly overpowered (there is such a thing), and you will most likely have issues melting things under your hood unless you do a good job of sheilding burnable things.
the rumors of extreme under hood heat issues with turbo systems have been grately exagerated.
Toddzilla said:
etc. etc. etc.

Not trying to rain on the parade, just trying to provide some balance to the conversation.
If by balance you mean myth you have accomplished that greatly ;)

Come on, you know that I am making legitimate points. I'm not saying that it IS going to be a certain way, I am simply illustrating what it CAN be like.

I'm not speaking off of what I've read on the internet, I'm speaking off of first hand experience.

If you have the patience, the money and the ability turbos are great.

If not they can be a money draining nightmare.

yes, they are valid issues (except for the heat thing, that's pure myth) but they are no different than the issues you would have with a blower or nitrous.

oh, and I'm not speaking off of what I've read on the internet, I'm speaking off of first hand experience too ;)

Eh....maybe so, maybe not.

I had a hand in building Noongs turbo setup. It took a long time and didn't run right for a while after we got it together.

I took a day off of working on his car to install the vortech on my 90 lx. It ran and drove like stock.

The melting is NOT pure myth. From another message board in a thread talking about his new turbo melting things.....

Originally Posted by Fast4D
speedo cable is melted even though it's a good 4 inches from the #8 primary.

I'm in no hurry to replace it though.

Here is another former turbomustang owner.....

Originally posted by Zoah
Have fun with that.

After you find everything under the hood that won't burn/melt You'll find somemore, then it will all be over and you can enjoy the turbo.

This guy has a turbo lightning.....it's actually pretty bad ass.

Orginally posted by rl
Good god man! Why is that ****er so hot? I have only melted a few plastic underhood things. Hell my AC line is 1" away from the downpipe and hasnt melted (yet)!

Granted I'm not making some ungodly rwhp either...

Your very own Trent Kendall....

Originally posted by trentk
go buy an assload of the thermotec fabric heat wrap and the heat blankets they sell and cover all that **** up. Works for me. Hell I have 3 layers of it on my spark plug wires because I kept eating them.

To which the original poster replied with this....

Originally posted by fast4d
everything on the turbo side is protected with that stuff. speedo cable I thought was far enough away but I know better now.

My DP and turbine housing are not ceramic coated. neither is my WG dump tube. but that will change...

Again, I'm not saying that this is commonplace, but you can see that it's far from a myth too.

I never had a single issue with melting/burning anything on my car with the turbo and took no special precautions either.

Pretty sure Will had the same experiance.

Some people can split a bowling ball in a sandbox with their bare hands.

I know of plenty of people who have melted **** in their engine bays with stock motors, hell i've melted plug wires on a stock motor before.

I installed the single turbo on my cobra in about a week (evenings only and taking my time) and it fired right up and drove like stock. The only issue was a lift throttle stalling problem that turned out to be a deficiancy with the speedbrain and negative MAF airflow and not related to the turbo system at all.

Show me one issue that is turbo specific in all of this...it's no different than a blower or nitrous as long as you pay attention.