04 cobra belt slipping

duanee26

Jan 14, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Ok, so I just traded in my 08 GT for a 04 Cobra. I love this car, it's a beast. Here's a list of the mods that were already done to it when I got it. Accufab "Bigoval" TB with the Power Inlet Pipe, 95mm MAF, Bassani Optimum Length Headers, Bassani X-pipe with cats, Bassani Catback, and the Motoblue 2.75/Tuner kit with the SCT Tuner. I'm sure a lot of you are already familiar with this kit, but if not, it consists of the Motoblue 2.75 blower pulley and the Goodyear Gatorback belt among other things. It also has a JLT CAI. Anyway, the problem I'm having is that belt is slipping. The guy who had it before me kept the reciepts for every single thing he did to it and when he took it to get it tuned on the dyno, the report said the belt is slipping. Max power was 384.4@5750 RPM and Max torque was 427.3@3250 RPM. Shouldn't this car be making more power than that with the mods it has? I know the belt is slipping because I can feel it. Is the Gatorback belt garbage or what? I don't know the size of the belt but should I go with a shorter one or just go with a different one completely? I was also looking at the Motoblue Cog Belt system that RPM Outlet has. Is it worth the price??

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, if 380rwhp is all that you're seeing, it must be slipping bad. That or the blower has been being oversput for quite some time and the blower is on its way out? If its belt slip, the tuner should have been able to see it in the dyno graph. Belt slip shows up as "stutters" in the power curve.

Anyway, Motoblue also sells oversized idler pulleys to help correct this. It provides increased belt wrap around the blower pulley to maximize contact surface with the belt. They only problem with this is its still only a temporary solution and it still shortens the life of the belt. A better solution would be to go with an oversized lower crank pulley, that would allow you to increase the blower pulley size, thus increasing surface contact area and still retain the same level of boost across the board.

Motoblue sucks plain and simple and so does RPM Outlet, do a quick search and you see what I mean. Lots of unhappy customers. Plus that 2.75 upper is too small IMHO, even if you have a good 100MM idler you're going to slip becuase the moto-poo pulleys are not a "no-slip" design.

I suggest you ditch the moto-poo pulley and get with Billetflow and order a 2.93 non-slip upper and a 100MM idler. Get this installed and have the car retuned on a dyno. You should be at about 470 to the rear wheels with your current combo!!!

U.M.