04' Vert or HardTop

Interestingly, convertibles have better insurance rates, ceteris paribus. That's because they have lower real-world death rates than coupes.

Why? Good question...nobody's quite sure, but a compelling view is that because of their inherent less-safe nature cf. coupes, convertible drivers tend to be more cognizant of their situation and the potential for trouble.

Which brings up a convertible plus...the sense of immediacy. With a top down and the wind in your hair, you feel like you're going fast, even when you're not.

As for weather issues, true afficiandos damn the weather and top down! I've driven open-topped cars in 40 degree weather...do it and you'll notice other hard-core sorts on the road doing it too; they always wave. :)

I sometimes think that if I had to do it over, I'd get a convertible Mustang. But on the other hand, I want something new to look forward to with my next car... :D

• Sponsors (?)

wow I had never met someone who didn't like convertibles until now.... I mean a vert is a vert!!! lol.... I WISH i had a convertible, so what if they squeak and rattle, it's a Ford I'd be more worried if it DIDN'T rattle. Some cars like Camaros and Corvettes lose a lot of their lines with the ragtop but IMO the Mustang looks MUCH better as a convertible. If you can just drive with the top down once a year, that would still be worth it for me.

lbmustang99 said:
Im planning on getting an 04 in Oct.What u guys recommend,Vert or Hard top?What are some pros and cons about them?
Hard top DEFINITLY!!! I just traded my 01 GT Vert in for an 04 Cobra Coupe last month. VERTS ARE RATTLE BOXES!!!!! Although It was pimp as hell with the Light Bar and top down.

I too had to choose between a full load vert GT or a Mach1. Well I always wanted a drop top and I don't regret it one bit. The V8 rumble sounds good on all Stangs but with the top down it's out of this world. Of course I used the "the kids will love it" excuse to convince my wife we needed a Mustang in the first place. The one night a week I regret not getting the Mach1 is Tuesday nights. I'm at the dragstrip that night and man I'd love 32V's there :D .