'05 + Auto Tranny into Fox body

• Sponsors (?)

The first answer is always that it can be done because given enogh time and money you can do anything.

The how part is going to get kinda complicated.

First off you have to deal with controlling it. That transmission is an electronic control type. I don't know that there is an afermarket controller that will work with this transmission yet and there is no possible way to run it off the computer in your car. You might be able to futz with using a computer and wiring harness from something that had this transmission in it and get it done, but it might be a pain to do and I haven't seen anyone do it yet to know.

Then you will have to mess with things like flexplates and hard parts to actually get the thing installed.

But why? The transmission does have some merits, but it's honestly a really weak transmission. A car with any real torque woudl likely eat one up pretty quick. The way they made them live is through the computer controlling the torque that the transmission sees. I have personally seen a few 10 second 05 and up Mustangs with those transmissions in them, but In my opinion, those cars might have been a lot faster if they could have been putting the full power to the ground instead of having the computer modulate the torque as much as it has to on the shifts.

It would be interesting to see someone do it though.

Just my opinion though. You might hear from someone that has done it, is working on it or otherwise knows more about it and I may be wrong :)

Darrin

I'm not familiar with the 05+ transmissions one bit, but I will say that unless you know of a way to adapt the bellhousing to the 5.0 block, it can't be done. The bolt pattern between the 5.0 and 4.6 is different. Finding a way to control the 4R70W transmission from the V6 models may be a better way to go. Not sure if an aftermarket controller (Baumann, or the like) can run that one though. An AODE can definitely be run off an aftermarket controller.

Oh yeah, the bellhousing. Duh! Still suffering from jet lag here. LOL

That presents the deal killer of a problem if you are using any of the engines that came in the Fox body cars.

Darrin