05 Stang vs Cobra

ironmedic

Mar 18, 2003
Puyallup, WA
ok guys, just like my Camaro SS thread, what do you think of a N/A Cobra vs the new 05 Stang? I hear mixed things about it but i feel the cobra comes out on top (only cuz i own one) :) this pertains to street racing or drag strip racing. i know if u mod the N/A cobra, it wouldnt be a problem but stock for stock, what are your opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

I suspect that the new GT probably has enough torque advantage to win. From what I remember the GT tested in Motor Trend made 267rwhp at a lower RPM so it would look like a naturally aspriated Cobra would have to get lucky. However, its already been said that the MT test car might have been a ringer.

What would really make a great magazine comparison is to run a 04 Mach 1 vs. a 05 GT.

chuckystang said:
well considering that the 99/01 cobras make 272 rwhp stock and have IRS, I would say the cobra would win fairly easily in the quarter and probably very close from 0-60

I hope your not assuming the IRS will help in the win.

Stock vs. stock I think that the 05 would win. The same Hp (underated) and a solid axle.

Drivers race!

yeah i still feel that it is a driver's race for both cars since they are similar in ratings (sorta).
gosh i feel so left out that i dont have an 03/04! every website i go to has parts for those cars (99-04) and its like the 96-98 cobras were not even born!

chuckystang said:
well considering that the 99/01 cobras make 272 rwhp stock and have IRS, I would say the cobra would win fairly easily in the quarter and probably very close from 0-60
I would think the IRS would hurt the cobra in the run. Very tuff to launch hard with the IRS. One thing I wish Ford offered for the s/c cobra's was the option for solid axle or IRS. I know which one the 1/4 guys would choose. :D

Well as bad as the IRS seems, it does help with the 1-2 shift and helps transfer power to the rear wheels better(marginally). But this is assuming you have good traction and with a good driver. I really can get mine off the line pretty hard and fast (410's help) I put some kenny brown aluminum differential bushings and am likeing them alot so far. The 05s I have seen so far can not even get in the 13's in the 1/4, granted they are not yet broken in, but the 99/01 owns the 05gt :) at least the ones with any mods that is...who here still has a 100% bone stock n/a cobra anyway?

Oh and I totally agree about the cobra coming with the solid axle, Im a marketing major and well...who here would like to see this option on the next gen cobra....

Drag package:
Solid axle/33 spline/373's or more
drag shocks/springs

Handleing package:
Lowering springs/stiffer shocks and struts
IRS/355 gearing

One could keep adding to the different packages but I think Ford should look back at the 60's and see how many different options there were and how few there are today. Im guessing most would order the drag pack :)

chuckstang95 said:
Oh and I totally agree about the cobra coming with the solid axle, Im a marketing major and well...who here would like to see this option on the next gen cobra....

Drag package:
Solid axle/33 spline/373's or more
drag shocks/springs

Handleing package:
Lowering springs/stiffer shocks and struts
IRS/355 gearing

One could keep adding to the different packages but I think Ford should look back at the 60's and see how many different options there were and how few there are today. Im guessing most would order the drag pack :)
I like that idea. :p They have a bunch of different packages for the GT,(mostly appearance) why not some performance options for the cobra. Think they would get a nice balance between the two. :nice:

Sounds like from reading around that it would be a close race stock for stock in the 1/4. If a 99/01 could get off the line with out hopping like the easter bunny then the cobra might pull it off. Otherwise I'm thinking a very close race or the 05 pulls it out. Fit and finish wise the 05 sounds like it is heads above our rattle trap cars, but who cares. I still love mine and wouldn't trade her for an 05 GT. Cobra, well, we shall see... :flag:

AzDropTop said:
Sounds like from reading around that it would be a close race stock for stock in the 1/4. If a 99/01 could get off the line with out hopping like the easter bunny then the cobra might pull it off. Otherwise I'm thinking a very close race or the 05 pulls it out. Fit and finish wise the 05 sounds like it is heads above our rattle trap cars, but who cares. I still love mine and wouldn't trade her for an 05 GT. Cobra, well, we shall see... :flag:
Rattle traps? :shrug: Maybe I've been lucky, but the two mustangs I've owned weren't really "rattlers" they felt pretty solid, one with subframe connectors, one without.

99/01 's have been running all over the 13s for awhile now and I have not seen the 05's do that so Im still sticking with the cobras for the win. I know if I was at the line with an 05, Id want to be in my cobra. If maybe you had 327's still you may be in for a race but anything above 410's and it is bye bye 05 gt