05 Throttle lag

83rs5.0

Apr 9, 2007
I am new here and the new owner of a 05 GT 4.6/auto lightly used (19000) 1 older owner. My question - it has a long lag from pushing on the pedal until the car will move, when it does it is all at once, hold on!! It is almost impossible to take off gently (some times it prudent to do this). Is this common? I have a F-350 diesel that is much the same way. It is factory stock.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have a tune, and the throttle lag is horrible. It feels like someone keeps applying the throttle while I am trying to shift. In addition, there's about 1/16"-1/8" of dead play in the throttle. On the cable throttle, you can gently tip in the throttle as soon as you step on the pedal. With the drive by wire system, there's about 1/16"-1/8" of initial throttle that does nothing.

I have a blank X-Cal 2, and the SCT database for my Stang, but I can't bear myself to void the factory warranty. The tune will have to wait a few more years.

Surprisingly, I ask some people about throttle lag and you will hear mixed replies. A girl I know rented a S197 and said the throttle felt normal. Another guy test drove a S197 GT and immediately told me he hated the throttle response. Either the lag is a byproduct of manufacturing variability, programming variability, or the sensitivity of the person's foot.

i also had a slight throttle lag on my 05. mine is a standard, but throttle lag was noticeable. i pulled that restrictive airbox out and installed a c&l cai with predator tune. hence NO MORE THROTTLE LAG. But from what you described it seems like a little more than throttle lag. has it done this since you bought it or did it just start all of a sudden? if i just started, i would pull the intake off and check it for restrictions. if it was like that since you bought it i would definitely take back to dealer. fac warr should still be good. also maybe they sold you the car with the computer tuned for some other intake mod that was taken off. keep us posted and welcome!

Unless the X-Cal or programmer is proven to be directly responsible for causing the warranted parts in question to fail ? the dealer can only refuse to service the vehicle under a warranty claim, it cannot void a Ford factory warranty for a non related issue such as linking an SCT programmer to a shaker 500/1000 as being responsible for causing CD's to skip lol.

Thank you all for responding! I still have dealer warranty so no problem there but I have heard that sometimes the car comes out ummm less capable than before? If I go with a tuner will I loose my great mileage? I love driving my car so it is of some importance to me at almost $3 a gallon now.

Thank you all for responding! I still have dealer warranty so no problem there but I have heard that sometimes the car comes out ummm less capable than before? If I go with a tuner will I loose my great mileage? I love driving my car so it is of some importance to me at almost $3 a gallon now.

Nah just keep your foot out of it .

Most of the guys on here are stating they get better MPG after a tune. Why exactly, I do not know, but my guess is that the more responsive nature of a tuned engine has you using less throttle than before in similar situations. :shrug: BTW, I'm still totally stock and the lag is noticeable, especially when I get in the Stang after driving my 98 F-150 with a manual tranny. I will be getting a CAI and tune eventually.

I love driving my car so it is of some importance to me at almost $3 a gallon now.

We're nearer $7 a US gallon over here in the UK. :bang: PLus we pay 17.5% tax on everything plus the grabbing Chancellor is charging £300 a year road tax for high emission cars and that's going up to £400 next year. It affects the Vette C6 which is an official import but not the Mustang as they don't have official CO2 figures so I "only" pay £175 a year. As for gas, I don't understand why you people complain when they practically give it to you.... :D

Well I am leaning strongly toward a tuner install, was wondering? My dealer also a good friend aqsked me to think about the Ford upgrade-a intake, exhaust, and tuner put on by Ford under warranty. I think all totaled about $1200? Has anybody used this or know anything about it?

A tune will definitely improve gas mileage. Ford's factory tune is too conservative. That's why a tune really wakes the car up, and also why you achieve better gas mileage with a tune. Ford's tune is aimed at meeting emissions standards. But that's at the cost of gas mileage. Just like E85. You create less emissions, it takes more fuel to get somewhere. Seems like a wash if you ask me. Get the tune.:nice: