'05 Tune and mods

french2812

Oct 12, 2006
Olympia, WA
I have an '05 GT that I made some changes to, K&N cold air kit, Magnaflow Catbacks. With these changes I pulled 303 RWHP on the dyno. I added an SCT Xcalibrator tune and the dyno improved to 316. This was with 87 octane in the tank. It was about a two hour trip to the dyno shop and it was initially planned as a recon, but after talking with the dyno master I went for it.
He gave me a 92 octane tune that he said he has gotten 340 RWHP on the new Mustangs with. With just the 87 tune on board, there was a noticeable difference. With the 92 it was quite dramatic. Just whether I have the 340 he claims it yet to be seen. After my warranty lapses (18 months) I plan to go back and make some more mods. i.e. BBK throttle body and Steeda undrive pulley.
Anybody with similar mods have any input.

• Sponsors (?)

It is a Mustang (sic) MD1750SE. The tech was trained by SCT at their facility and knew his stuff. A friend was with me and had his '03 Cobra SVT with him. He had a previous dyno run at a different shop and did a baseline pull here to check. They were dead on with each other so I am pretty confident the numbers are correct.

absolutley no way just those mods with a safe tune will make 340 rwhp. brenspeed made 347 rwhp with cams and the usual bolt ons. there is no way the tuner could get to that number without cams or a power adder. also, a mustang dyno typically yields lower numbers than a dynojet.

i call :bs:

I'm sorry having the experience using a dyno on all types of cars. Seeing the average gain of mods on these cars in relation to how they react on the dyno. I have a hard time seeing those kinds of gains from the minor mods to the car. Yes a dyno tune is better than a "canned tune", but not that much of a difference. What tuner tuned the car I would like to contact them and speak with them. Because if what you say is true, I would see poeple coming from all around to get their car tuned by these people. If the gains were that much then the price for these mods would be through the roof, as if they weren't already.

It is called Fast Specialities in Vancouver, WA. They race their own cars and tune other racers including Bonneville cars. 316.3 is verified on the dyno sheet using an SCT Xcalibrator 2 tuner. The numbers are in line with what K&N and Magnaflow dyno sheets show on their products after installation and dyno pulls.

316 is pretty optimistic, but GP001 did get 300 with just a cai/tune. french2812 please post the dyno sheet and/or video of the run. that would help you out against the people that dont think it happened. it is always wise to support statements with facts and proof to help validate information. after all, this IS the internet, and you cant believe everything you read on the internet. :)

bigcat said:
316 is pretty optimistic, but GP001 did get 300 with just a cai/tune. french2812 please post the dyno sheet and/or video of the run. that would help you out against the people that dont think it happened. it is always wise to support statements with facts and proof to help validate information. after all, this IS the internet, and you cant believe everything you read on the internet. :)

Amen on that.

I also find that dyno hard to believe. I have not seen a S197 pulling those type of numbers with the mods you have mentioned. I know I am not pulling that much and I also have had a custom tune done. Are you sure those numbers are not to the crank.
Run the dyno sheet through www.photobucket.com and post the link.

bigcat said:

The guy that dynoed my car was also going to do a custom tune. He is a very reputable tuner (Steve at Powertrain Dynamics in Huntington Beach) and has tuned many S197s before mine. After running the car three times, and even doing some on throttle/off throttle data logging, he pulled up a graph of another S197 with similar mods to show me the comparison. He was able to get a tad bit higher hp and tq (less than 1% gain over my graph), so he said that he would recommend just sticking with the tune I had. He said it was one of the highest numbers he has seen for the amount of mods on my car.

With a JLT2, Predator with DTP tune, and Magnaflow axle backs I pulled 300 rwhp and 312 rwtq on a Dynojet

A K&N and axlebacks got 303? With no tune?

Don't the Mustang dynos usually give lower numbers? So 303 would equate to?

EDIT - To add graph

05GTjltDyno2.jpg

Okay, that worked. The pulls are listed in reverse for some reason. #2 is listed as stock, it is the baseline but has the CAI and catbacks installed. #1 is after the flash tune with the SCT Xcalibrator 2. I am a little suprised that the torque is low.