06 GT Help Identifying knock !?!?

• Sponsors (?)

Well I took mine to a different dealer and they said they could not replicate the noise. Which is bull****. Anyway I am gonna take it back to the first dealership that switched out the cam phasers and lash adjusters so they can look at it again since they agreed there was a noise the first time. Mine has almost 8k miles now.

Well I took mine to a different dealer and they said they could not replicate the noise. Which is bull****. Anyway I am gonna take it back to the first dealership that switched out the cam phasers and lash adjusters so they can look at it again since they agreed there was a noise the first time. Mine has almost 8k miles now.

Keep us updated.

I have a 3V 5.4L (same heads as your 4.6's), and at about 44K I developed a constant tick that would not go away. I had read the TSB about the cam phasers and other various valvetrain issues, so I took it into the dealership to see what they thought.

"Bah, that's just loud fuel injectors! Nothing to worry about, every 3V motor make that noise!"

At 48K, I got a misfire CEL. I thought it was something to do with the COP's or even the craptastic 2 piece spark plugs, so I took it back into the same dealership. The did their full inspection, and found my # 2 cylinder was dead :mad: After being told it would cost 8-9 grand for a new longblock installed, I paid them for their inspection and took the truck home.

I pulled the passenger side valve cover to see that one of the intake valves was totally missing, along with it's FF and HLA and that valve's cam lobe is knarrled up pretty bad. The only thing that was inplace, was the dang spring. There isn't even a valve stem sticking out or anything. :notnice:

This was after a lifetime of Royal Purple or Mobile One and the "correct" motorcraft filters, every 3-4K.

My digicam is dead, but I went out to take a closer look tonight. I found the finger follower, and it's thrashed! It's been cut into by the cam, the little 'wheel' or roller has flat spots all over it where the cam has ground down for a good amount of time and it's bearing has a ton of play :notnice:

The only other modular engine I've got experiance with is the Duratec 2.5L and 3L. If the 5.4L HLA's are even close to the ones in the Duratec in looks, then the top nipple thing has been sheered off and it's sitting totally flush with the head, but it's still inplace.

The cam has a 1/16" - 3/32" groove cut into the lobe's peak.

I must have over looked the valve, but it is still inplace...... so it's not as bad as I had thought :rolleyes:

I'm guessing a HLA locked up and the cam chewed up the FF and popped off the retainer and lock off the valve :shrug: TOTAL CRAP for a 48K mile engine to be doing!