08 or 09

Rangers68

Apr 21, 2007
Hey everyone, its been awhile. Anyway Im looking to buy a mustang this upcoming spring. Now I have a little problem. Should I go ahead and buy an 08 mustang GT, or wait and buy an 09? Is 50 extra horse power and a little body changes worth it? Keep in mind I have been driving a little rice rocket for a few years and I have never owned a V8. Thanks for everything.

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on what YOU want. It's easy enough to get 50hp out of these 3Vs with aftermarket modifications and the HP to $ cost will be a little better aftermarket, so that really leaves you with the body and interior style upgrades rumored for the 09. From what I have seen most the appearance changes will be in the front fascia and facade.

You will need to decide if you like the proposed 09 changes more than the 05-08 look.

You are assuming the 2009 will actually have 50 extra horsepower. Has this been confirmed? I haven't seen it pop up in the news here or in Planet Mustang as official. Whenever a change like that occurs, be prepared to pay at least sticker unless you can get X-Plan or A-plan pricing or anything like that. Also, my car was one of the first few 2008's out, and I got it in August - the 2009, assuming a redesign, likely wouldn't hit the floors until fall 2008 at the earliest.

If you're not sure, I'd wait until the '09s hit the dealer floors to compare the '08 side by side. If you like the '08 better, you should be able to get a killer deal as they will be handing them away to make room for the '09s. I waited 3 years after the '05 came out to finally get my S197. I believe you could wait a year(now more like 10-11 months)to see any differences between the two. A positive in that scenario is that you can save up some more money until then:nice:

Get an 08!

The dealer markup is going to be insane on the 'new' stang when it comes out, not to mention new model 'problems'. That's what kept me away from the 05/06's and will keep me away from the 'new' one for atleast a year or two.

Get an 08!

The dealer markup is going to be insane on the 'new' stang when it comes out, not to mention new model 'problems'. That's what kept me away from the 05/06's and will keep me away from the 'new' one for atleast a year or two.

Amazingly enough the SN95 to S197 platform design changes were stellar in relation to other manufactures total redesigns. Some of the design issues that plagued the initial model year are still there (front suspension, gas tank design, valve train issues).

For the most part when you run TSBs on the redesign from the SN95 new edge to the S197 it was clean especially taking into account in addition to the new design they had a totally new tooling/assembly line as well.

From an objective statistical standpoint I would give it a 8 out of 10. :nice:

Rangers good luck with the decision and the acquisition. I am sure you will get what you want and whatever that is you are welcome here. :nice:

Hey Rocky,

What's up wit' you my friend? :shrug: I did not get from his comment ANYTHING having to do with the redesign. It appears he has his information and will now just count the days until he gets a MUSTANG. So, please let me know if you are feelin' threatened or somethin' cause no one is saying anything about the timing of the redesign. :nonono: PM me. We have a couple things we need to discuss specific to the responses you are making lately and the tone in which you are making them.

Thanks - Jenn

I have heard nothing about 50 extra horsepower.
There will always be something new coming later on. Meanwhile, life is passing you by. Get a Mustang and enjoy it. None of us know how much time we have left. Enjoy it while you can. Don't spend life wondering what will be available tomorrow or a year or longer from now.

Rangers good luck with the decision and the acquisition. I am sure you will get what you want and whatever that is you are welcome here. :nice:

Hey Rocky,

What's up wit' you my friend? :shrug: I did not get from his comment ANYTHING having to do with the redesign. It appears he has his information and will now just count the days until he gets a MUSTANG. So, please let me know if you are feelin' threatened or somethin' cause no one is saying anything about the timing of the redesign. :nonono: PM me. We have a couple things we need to discuss specific to the responses you are making lately and the tone in which you are making them.

Thanks - Jenn

There is nothing wrong, nor did I take any comments as being threatening... I was simply under the assumption, he was referring to the 09 Mustang. In which he mentioned in his initial post, concerning a body change for the 09 ! My only objective was to point out, that no changes will take place until the 2010 model arrives in mid 2009

Due to financial concerns, I may have to wait until the 09. But I have a question...

Does anyone know about when dealers STOP accepting "custom" orders for 08 models? Is it May, July, August? When do they START accepting them for 09 models?

Thanks!

It may change year to year, especially if there is some type of refresh or something done. When I bought my 2008 in mid-August, it was at least a few weeks too late to order an 07. I didn't even ask about how late I was since I had no interest in a non-Shelby GT 2007 at that point.