1/4 Track Question and Weight.

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
Im going to the track again this upcomming saturday for a test and tune session where they usually prep the track much better then on the reg street nights I have been going on. I know my car has 12's in it just have had trouble hooking up. My question is that how much if at all will it help to pull the pass side and rear seats out for the track this saturday? I know weight is a factor when it comes to the track but is the weight of those enough to make a diffrence at the track? They are not hard to get out at all but is it worth or not worth the effort? I would really like to get a 12 sec run even before my new suspension.

• Sponsors (?)

It will make a HUGE different in weight! The entire rear seat is supposed to weigh ~60lbs if you remove the heavy metal brackets supporting it. The stock passenger cloth seat in my 95 GT must weigh another 40lbs, again including the metal brackets.

With 109mph you should be solid 12s as it is, though. Take the pressure down on those Nittos and burn them for a good 7-8 seconds in second gear and I bet you'll see 12s.

The rear seat in the coupes is approx 35lbs all total... its only around 11lbs for the 'verts. The pass seat is around 40lbs as was mentioned. Removing them may yield at most a tenth, but every bit helps!

Swarzkopf said:
With 109mph you should be solid 12s as it is, though. Take the pressure down on those Nittos and burn them for a good 7-8 seconds in second gear and I bet you'll see 12s.

I was running 18 PSI last time at the track after dropping them from 20 PSI. I was getting decent 5-7 second burn outs in 1st gear ( line lock sure would help )

Paul- Your right every bit of weight does count. Taking them out might make the diffrence between running at 13.0 and a 12.9.

stprorolla49- I have everything out of the trunk as it is now, no tire, no jack, no carpet , everything its all out just the bare metal. At some point all the A/C and smog will be out anyway.

The rear seat in the coupes is approx 35lbs all total... its only around 11lbs for the 'verts. The pass seat is around 40lbs as was mentioned.

Did you weigh them? That sounds very suprising to me- my upper back seat alone seemed to be considerably heavier than the passenger seat. Perhaps it was the "awkwardness" of holding the long and thin uppper back seat...

For a good burnout 7-8 seconds to prep those DR's you should do a 2nd gear burnout. Not to mention the fact that you may want to take another couple of PSI out of those Nittos. Just my .02 though.

95WhiteVenom said:
For a good burnout 7-8 seconds to prep those DR's you should do a 2nd gear burnout. Not to mention the fact that you may want to take another couple of PSI out of those Nittos. Just my .02 though.

I'll try the second gear burn out this time around. I did plan on trying out the PSI at 16 PSI VS 18 just to see if it liked it better. I tried 20 and 18 and 18 was deff better but I have not yet found the sweet spot that my car likes yet.

I think the last time I weighed my pass seat it was only 30lbs. I haven't put the rear seat on the scale but it has to weigh pretty close to the front one.

Standard calculation is 1/10th for every 100lbs