10 extra horsepower anyone?

ok i don't know if this is true or not, but i was told by the local ford performance place, that if you only put 4 1/2 quarts of oil instead of 5 you will pick up about 10 horsepower to the wheels. but i don't really know if it is true or not, but if any of you know about this, let me know. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

no its true but i dont recomend it. they had an article about this in 5.0 magazine. because the crank doesnt splash so much oil, it is able to spin a little more freely making a bit more. they said you could drain as much as a quart out for racing but they didnt recomend it for driving on the street

I don't know if running a half quart low would really do that much damage. I mean most of the oil is sent circulating through the block / heads / etc. It's probably worth it when your racing.

The safe way to do it would be with a windage tray

People do it all the time. A quart low is not that big of a deal. Likely would have almost no harmful effect on the engine.
As said about, 10 hp is pushing it, 5 would be realistic.

I've heard (don't know for sure) that nascar teams do it in qualifying, because they don't give a crap about the engine they are using because they are swapping it anyway.

Just for those who are still wondering if it's true...it is 100%. It has to do with the crank counter weights spinning through the oil and sloshing it around. The weights going through the oil creates a parasitic loss of HP, so you're picking that HP back up when the oil isnt deep enough in the oil pan to allow the weights to spin through them.

Problem is that a windage tray is no easy install, you have to pull the engine to do it.
If you go that far you might as well get a 7 quart pan with matching windage tray.

89notchfox said:
ok i don't know if this is true or not, but i was told by the local ford performance place, that if you only put 4 1/2 quarts of oil instead of 5 you will pick up about 10 horsepower to the wheels. but i don't really know if it is true or not, but if any of you know about this, let me know. thanks

screw that....my cars aren't suffering for using less oil for a stupid 10hp increase!!!!!!!!!!

2000xp8 said:
Problem is that a windage tray is no easy install, you have to pull the engine to do it.
If you go that far you might as well get a 7 quart pan with matching windage tray.

Point made...which is why i look at it like 10hp...big deal. 10hp can be gained elsewhere without risking low oil. Besides, i'm willing to bet that most of our engines are burning some oil...

Recently, there was an article in one of the major Mustang magazines (I think it was 5.0 but I'm not sure) about this very topic. They claimed the same thing.

Personally, I think that it's a dumb maneuver on the owner's part to even risk their engine like that. An engine is not a cheap proposition and it"s not worth the extra 10 horsepower (which will only give you approximately a 1/10th in the quarter mile) that you"ll gain.