10 sec n/a 347's and 408's need info

91lxntch

Sep 27, 2003
altoona,p.a
im looking to build a 10 sec n/a street motor that will be sprayed eventually but it must run well into the 10's first..it will be based on a DART BLOCK i want it to be 11.1 and ill shift it at 6500-6800 obviously 408 will be easier to get there but at more cost i allready have oil pan headers etcetcetc.for a 347..so what im looking for is some info on your setups and times some thoughts would really help me make this change also since im to afraid to go carbed it will still be efi and hyd roller..basically im hoping there are alot of 10 sec n/a 347 cars out there cause thats what id rather do but it must run mid 10 to hit my goals of low 9's on spray

p.s before the comments start that i should go turbo or blower i have a blower and just sold my turbo from the car i like the simplicity of nitrous and the fact that i can drive around town on motor..for my goals it is easier this way thanks

• Sponsors (?)

well my goal is to do it with a 347 because i have the supporting parts ..ive buitl alot of mustangs turbo ones blower ones and a handful of the 12.0 306 cars and even some nitrous cars..im looking for those to join this disscussion that have done it

91lxntch said:
well my goal is to do it with a 347 because i have the supporting parts ..ive buitl alot of mustangs turbo ones blower ones and a handful of the 12.0 306 cars and even some nitrous cars..im looking for those to join this disscussion that have done it
i have not done it personally, but i have seen a few of my friends projects that have done it. . . . the 347 is a wicked, high compression, solid roller little bastard that is NOT street friendly

through my searches this evening ive come across some 10 sec na 347 cars and alot i meen alot of low 11 sec 347 na cars and i can see in all of there setups were you could gain quite a bit
here is what ive decided to go with and it will be carbed gotta get over my fears sometime

im running a 93 coupe stripped with a tubular k etc..
347 dart (big bore)
c4 auto 3800-4000 stall (t brake)
11.1 comp
vic jr intake
750 holley race hp 4150 carb
vic jr heads
1,6.1 rr
1 3/4 lt
3in x and dumps
not sure on cam though debating between hyd roller and solid roller if i go hyd roller ill use a anderson n81 or n91 if i go solid ill call comp

Modular2v said:
the reason people go with more displacement is in attempt to keep it streetable! Go do the 408 if thats your goal, and you will still most likely be pushing the envelope!

I couldn't agree more. To put down 10 second ETs naturally aspirated, small cube motors either need lots of rpms, lots of compression, or a super light highly efficient chassis. When you get into high rpms, you get into other problems. My synchronized TKO wouldn't shift above 7,200 without giving me problems so I had to go to a Liberty Pro-shifted setup. Not real fun on the street anymore. If I go to a C-4, then I lose overdrive and the thing'll be screaming down the road with the 4:56 gears. Again not very streetable. If you boost compression too high, then you need race fuel. Again, not streetable.

Yellow94GT on corral runs high 10's with his n/a pump gas low rpm 347. It peaked at 6,200 rpm. Made 466rwhp. He went 10.9 @ 125 ish on 18" drag radials if I recall. Matched parts work well!

91lxntch said:
through my searches this evening ive come across some 10 sec na 347 cars and alot i meen alot of low 11 sec 347 na cars and i can see in all of there setups were you could gain quite a bit
here is what ive decided to go with and it will be carbed gotta get over my fears sometime

im running a 93 coupe stripped with a tubular k etc..
347 dart (big bore)
c4 auto 3800-4000 stall (t brake)
11.1 comp
vic jr intake
750 holley race hp 4150 carb
vic jr heads
1,6.1 rr
1 3/4 lt
3in x and dumps
not sure on cam though debating between hyd roller and solid roller if i go hyd roller ill use a anderson n81 or n91 if i go solid ill call comp
Going carbed will be the best decision you have ever made:nice:

Grn92LX said:
Yellow94GT on corral runs high 10's with his n/a pump gas low rpm 347. It peaked at 6,200 rpm. Made 466rwhp. He went 10.9 @ 125 ish on 18" drag radials if I recall. Matched parts work well!
not saying its impossible but i would expect to see that motor being shifted past 6200 if its making that power NA. What gear is in it? size tire? I know my car is shifted at 6200 (which sucks) And i run 3.73s with a 26 inch tire and im nearly running out of gear running 11.1xs at 123.5-126ish(trap speeds have varied this much)

EMW150 said:
I'd like to know more about that. Any details? Do you mean 28" drag radials?

No I mean 18" rims with drag radials. Look up Yellow94GT on corral. I am pretty sure thats his screen name. I think he shifted around 6,400. Its very impressive but it goes to show you that it really doesn't take what most think to make the #'s.

the track #s dont lie, but i for one am very skeptical on dyno numbers since there is no REAL way of being able to measure the power! Im not saying its not possible to have a streetable 10 second NA 347 but it would NOT BE CHEAP and would be easier to build a larger displacement windsor to keep power and streetability plain and simple!!!!!

Modular2v said:
the track #s dont lie, but i for one am very skeptical on dyno numbers since there is no REAL way of being able to measure the power! Im not saying its not possible to have a streetable 10 second NA 347 but it would NOT BE CHEAP and would be easier to build a larger displacement windsor to keep power and streetability plain and simple!!!!!

I'll bet the ramps on that cam are so aggressive that he has to swap valve springs about every other event if not every event. There has to be a sacrifice. If it's not rpms, and it's not compression, then it has to be extremely aggressive ramps on his cam that is building cylinder pressure like crazy. His combo is definately awesome but it's the exception, not the rule for 98 percent of the 347s out there.

Check this thread, not as hard as you may think. Mine has great street manners but isn't running mid 10's. Low 11's, and I drive it 30 miles to work on a regular basis during the hot summer months with no issues.

http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36623

From the thread on hardcore

66 Coupe - Here is my old and new set up, have not made a pass with the new.

Old set up - 347ci, ported polished AFR185's, Comp XE274HR, Mighty Demon 650 1" spacer, Port matched Vic Jr, 3.70's, 9" rear, C4, 2500 stall, 10.8:1, KB Hyper domes

11.28 @ 119MPH with a 1.59 60'

New set up - Same as above except Comp XE282HR, Race Demon775RS-DR, 4.11's, 4000 stall, transbrake

Car & driver did weigh in at 3200lbs, may have lost 100 or so with the fiberglass hood and aluminum Kirkey low backs. Also have a moly 6 point as opposed to steel, might save a little weight there as well.

I'm hoping the new set up will get me close to an 11.0X assuming it will still hook on the close to stock suspension. My 60' should drop considerably with the gear and stall and brake combo. I wasn't even getting close to redline with the 3.70's when I went through the traps.

Won't know until spring....

N8Miller said:
to get a 10 second 347, your gonna need one hell of a suspension. you could throw $10k worth of motor at it, but if the chassis isnt setup for it, your not gonna do jack!
Not only is he going to need alot of suspension, but also a light chassis! If you want to maintain streetablility and improve 1/4 mile times , the easiest and cheapest way is to remove weight!