Progress Thread 11:2:1 Compression Tune Advice!

MikeR351w

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Wisconsin
Ok. I bought a new mustang. 1998 GT. The car is fully built. Here are the mods. (I listed everything engine/drivetrain in case you have questions). There is a ton more suspension mods as well but that's not applicable.

4.11 Gears Ford Racing
Rear Diff Cooler
Trans Cooler
TKO600 Trans
RAM Clutch
Aluminum D/S
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
Steeda fuel rail
Meizure ELec Water pump
Griffin Radiator Aluminum
Elec Fan
Oil Cooler
Oil Temp Gauge
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Accusump
42lb injectors Ford Racing
Logan Motorsports Aluminum Intake
Cobra Twin T/B
Larger (unknown brand) Mass Air Meter with K&N filter
Moroso Oil Pan 6 qt
Livernois Stage 3 heads Custom built cams (no specs :(
Explorer Block 4.6 Alum block, mahle pistons with relief for valves
Long tube headers
Magna Flow exhaust
SCT chip (Chip)
Pro 5.0 shifter
Ford Racing wires
MSD coils

The car is tuned for 100 octane and is at 11.2:1 compression. I have heard conflicting shops say that it is impossible to tune to pump gas for fear of detonation. Others say it will be fine. I would like pump gas, but understand that might be impossible. Also, if possible, what tuner would you go with. The only shops are here use Diablo for their dyno tuning. Also, could I tune it myself with software on a laptop and the handheld tuner???? Needs some advice.

Also, it made 351 rwhp and 307 tq if your wondering.

Mike

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

That isn't too radical for pump gas. IT will just limit how aggressive you can get with the timing and obviously lower the power.

That being said you can tune yourself but the learning curve can get expensive (if you make a mistake).

A trans cooler with a manual? Interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
Im around 11.5:1, its tuned for 93 octane which I cant get anymore. It pings on hot days. The tuner had to pull a bit of timing out. The issue I have is heat: headers+aluminum block+high outside temp= pinging in summer.

The key is the tuner.

Do you have E85 in your area? My car is at 11.4:1 and I had good results in adding about 1/5 to 1/4 E85 to 93 octane. Summer driving especially.

That said I had mine tuned to 93 and had to pull out some timing. Affected performance but a handheld tuner or a switch chip to change to the more aggressive tune when you want it and you are in business.