16.1's and a lot of pinging.....

HIGDON

Nov 2, 2003
Ft. Hood, TX
Tonight was the first night out for the stang. I just put a C&L 80MM MAF on this morning because a rock punched a hole in the stock one(don't ask me how..). Anyways, my first run I clean off the tires and launch around 2K, the car bogged and then took off like a bat out of hell. My trap speed was 88MPH and time 16.1, 60ft was like 2.7. I was dissapointed but I tried again. This time I launched at 3500 and the nittos bit real hard then they broke loose once I hit the powerband. Same result(time) but a trap of 90MPH. Finally I put a good R/T out the window and just rev it out and feather the clutch and I get a 2.4 60ft, still spining. At the top of second gear I hear some pretty bad detonation and I back off and roll through the traps. I was shifting @5K just to get the feel for the car. The third run I had the windows closed and I could really hear it pinging despite the fact I had 93 octane(stock timing). I really would like to blame the track because traction is HORRIBLE here. I'm just really frustrated because I know my car is faster than that. :bang: :bang: :bang: Can anyone give me and idea on the lean problem, sometimes it takes it a second to fire up. I'm gona try and go through the fuel system tomorrow, maybe the filter is really dirty?

• Sponsors (?)

From what everyone is telling me, and you seem to be proof of it, the C&L MAF is causing your lean condition. I'm not having problems like you are, and I was dynoed at 15:1 at 3200 - 13:1 or so at 5600 BEFORE the C&L MAF when my SCT chip was installed. But my car runs just fine, no detonation/pinging, nothing weird, and it makes great power thoughout the range. It's what everyone is telling me that has me worried sick. I talked to my SCT tuner and he quoted me $350 for dyno time, tune and reburn...I think I'm gonna puke. I don't know what to do at this point. I may put my OEM MAF back on, at least for til I get it retuned, and I'll have to see if it loses and power. I added the induction parts to my 02 GT listed below after the SCT chip dyno tune.

Well the car was already running a bit lean with the stock meter, too bad it has a hole in it. That detonation really robs your power. I'm gonna go through the fuel system and maybe bump up the fuel pressure just for the time being until I can finish the PI in take, plenum, and throttle body in the next couple of weeks. Then it's off to the dyno I guess to try and make this all work out. Boy this thing make some power down low though, then it's ping ping ping.

Let us know what you find. But a lean condition should not cause pinging, correct. This sounds like a timing issue. However, I did recently add a Supercchips Max tuner to my car and it pinged over 4,000 rpms. I had to send it back and Super Chips blamed my intake mods, so what the hell do I know?

An overly lean motor can detonate due to the increased temperatures in the combustion chambers. Basically the **** gets so hot that it can pre-ignite the fuel in the cylinder just like a spark that is too much advanced.

Why not just go up in injector size by one size? Or get a tune done that increases your fuel flow at WOT? I've never heard of a shop charging $350 for a dyno tune and burn...usually it is more like $150-200, try calling around to other shops to see what they charge.

Phoenix00GT said:
Why not just go up in injector size by one size? Or get a tune done that increases your fuel flow at WOT? I've never heard of a shop charging $350 for a dyno tune and burn...usually it is more like $150-200, try calling around to other shops to see what they charge.

if he gets bigger injectors, he's gonna need a retune anyway.

The MAF is the source of your problem. Your are likley running lean and timing is advanced too far. Both problems can be caused by improper MAF calibration. With the mods you have there is no need for a aftermarket MAF. For a more detailed explanation of how MAF's can cause drivability problems there is a detailed thread on Modular Depot in the 2v engine section. I learned a lot from this thread and it might help you! :nice:

smokin 04 said:
The MAF is the source of your problem. Your are likley running lean and timing is advanced too far. Both problems can be caused by improper MAF calibration. With the mods you have there is no need for a aftermarket MAF. For a more detailed explanation of how MAF's can cause drivability problems there is a detailed thread on Modular Depot in the 2v engine section. I learned a lot from this thread and it might help you! :nice:
Well said the MAF is the problem and you DONT need it.