16 or 17 inch wheels with no modifications?

mean stang

Jul 18, 2005
I know this is on here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I found the chart, but I have some more questions. I want to run a 16 or 17 inch wheel by 7 or 8, doesn't matter. What backspacing and tire do i need. I don't want to roll the fenders, put on a neg wedge kit, or do the shelby a arm mod. The car is a 65 fastback with front discs. I'm using the 4 1/2 leaf mideye leafsprings, with 620 1 inch drop front springs. Please help.

• Sponsors (?)

mean stang said:
I know this is on here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I found the chart, but I have some more questions. I want to run a 16 or 17 inch wheel by 7 or 8, doesn't matter. What backspacing and tire do i need. I don't want to roll the fenders, put on a neg wedge kit, or do the shelby a arm mod. The car is a 65 fastback with front discs. I'm using the 4 1/2 leaf mideye leafsprings, with 620 1 inch drop front springs. Please help.

http://www.dodgestang.com/mustang.htm

I have been trying to figure this one out as well. The chart above only does 14 and 15in rim sizes. Does anybody have 16s or 17s on their car? What did you have to do to make em fit? Ive asked a couple of people and some have said 17s will fit and others had to roll the lip. JR

User Name said:
I have been trying to figure this one out as well. The chart above only does 14 and 15in rim sizes. Does anybody have 16s or 17s on their car? What did you have to do to make em fit? Ive asked a couple of people and some have said 17s will fit and others had to roll the lip. JR
I guess I'm not surprised that you can't find the data for a dead stock suspension with absolutely no mods. I figure most folks that want to upsize proabably do a bit of suspension modification (lowering springs, rolled fender lips, etc.) too.

Ultimately, when no one has the data you need, it probably means you'll have to do your own measuring and fitting. This is always the best way to know exactly what will work for your application anyway, and you'll be much happier if you spend the hour to do it yourself rather than surf the internet for 6 months and still feel unsure. Worst case scenario, take the car to a place like Discount Tire and they should be able to measure for proper backspacing.

mean stang said:

I have 16x8 front and rear with 4.5 inch BS. 225/50/16 in the front and 235/50/16 in the rear (Toyo Proxes T1-S). I have 5 eye leafs in the rear with a 1 inch drop. No rolling in the rear. I have tubular LCAs and UCAs with a negative wedge system in the front with a 1 inch drop, no rolling there either.

User Name said:

Uhhhh...not to be too blunt....but have you tried perhaps scrolling? The chart goes up to 18s