160o thermostat guys: How hot do you run?

trinity_gt

10 Year Member
Jan 31, 2003
Canada
My KB 02 GT has a 160o thermostat that came with the supercharger. The coolant gauge needle typically sits in the 2nd quarter region of the face but I find it tends to spend more time nearer the middle of the gauge face than I would expect given its lower rating.

Where does your gauge sit and how stable is it there?

I have no concerns about cooling fans not coming on, no coolant level problems etc. But with the blower, I would much prefer the engine to run a bit cooler as KB intended.

I'm thinking I might replace the thermostat as a preventive measure regardless but am curious to know if others see their temp gauge moving some and whether they see mid-scale readings or not.

EDIT: Just checked the KB web site and see that KB sells a 180o thermostat for the 4.6 because "160 degrees can create problems in these engines". Interesting. Maybe things are actually okay since this is only 15 degrees lower than the 195 OE thermostat. Still, I'm curious to know where other KB guys running a KB-supplied thermostats see their temp gauges.

• Sponsors (?)

Cooler thermostats aren't very helpful unless you actually adjust the fan temperature setpoints. In the city, the engine temperature will probably run closer to the fan setpoints, which are quite high. Around 205-220 IIRC. The low end of the range will be the low speed fan and the higher end the high speed fan. On the highway, the radiator will get plenty of airflow without the fans, so it will probably run closer to the 160 range.

If you really want to make use of the 160* t-stat, change the fan setpoints. Turn the low speed fan on at around 170-180, and the high speed about 10-15 degrees above that. Then, you may be able to take advantage of the cooler engine temps for better detonation resistance, and maybe even add some timing/boost back in.