17" vs 18" Wheels (Performance Issues)

I felt a little more bumps with my 18s than 17s, but thats hardly the reason why I wouldnt buy the 18s. but for aesthetic reasons, if your going to get 18s, dont get a mild drop (1.5 in.), go with H&R SS or Eibach sportlines. Lo-profile tires and a big wheel gap just dont match. I wish my car would drop about .5 inches more. just something to think about.

• Sponsors (?)

As the others said theres more straight-line traction from the taller sidewall on the 17"s, but better corner handling with less sidewall flex. With more sidewall you can run the 17s at a lower pressure than you would want to run the 18s and get more straight line grip. The only other factor is that 18s look better.

If I was into drag racing I would only have one choice, 17x9 and 17x10.5 rears with the big 315s out back. As it goes I'm into street driving / road racing so the 18s work. 18x10 Saleen replicas werent around when I bought mine, so I have 18x9s out back and not as much traction as I'd like (launching got a bit worse with the lowering/stiffening of the suspension also). As soon as these tires are shot I'll be buying a pair of 18x10s for the rear and some beefier tires.

Oh, I almost forgot. 18" tires are more expensive than 17s. You may want to consider that also. More pics in sig...

One last thing, 275/35/18s have no more reason to rub than 275/40/17s up front, and this is not usually a problem in either case. The overall tire and wheel combination has exactly the same dimensions in both cases. I myself have experienced no fender rubbing whatsoever, and the front of my car is dropped 2".

205530_111_full.jpg

Blackhawk257 said:
i'm running 275/40/18 on the back and 265/40/18 on the front some rubbing at full hard turns, like pulling in and out of tight parking spaces

Would a 245/35/18 fit? Think that would help fenderwall rubbing? :shrug:
What is the lowest you could go on an 18?

EDIT: (Blackhawk257) Hoo Ah! to the blackhawk :flag:

Are you guys confusing the noise the power steering makes (?) at full lock with physical rubbing against the fenderwell, because I dont see how its possible that youre rubbing. With my stock tires and my new tires the steering made a crappy sound that sounded like rubbing at full lock, but the tires were not physically rubbing anywhere and still are not. Can you actually see where the tire has rubbed, or are you talking about a sound?

245s are fine for an 8" rim (stock size) but too small for a 9" rim IMO. Youre rims will be asking to get beat up.

007 said:
Are you guys confusing the noise the power steering makes (?) at full lock with physical rubbing against the fenderwell, because I dont see how its possible that youre rubbing. With my stock tires and my new tires the steering made a crappy sound that sounded like rubbing at full lock, but the tires were not physically rubbing anywhere and still are not. Can you actually see where the tire has rubbed, or are you talking about a sound?

245s are fine for an 8" rim (stock size) but too small for a 9" rim IMO. Youre rims will be asking to get beat up.

I was wondering this too, because i've never SEEN wheels rub...but then again, i've never had 18's. Thats why i asked.

Blackhawk257 said:
i'm running 275/40/18 on the back and 265/40/18 on the front some rubbing at full hard turns, like pulling in and out of tight parking spaces

Ok, I re-read this and IF you are really rubbing then it is likely due to your choice of tire. You should have bought 35 series not 40s. 265/35s are just slightly smaller OD tires than stock, while 265/40/18s are a physically larger overall diameter than stock. So your wheel and tire set-up is taller than before.

FWIW. 275/35 /18 is exactly the same as stock, as are 275/40/17.

i have 275/35/18's all around and they never rub with the stock suspension. I would recomend going with a narrower tire up front though because the 275's cause my car to pull a lot even with an allignment. 18's are not too big for our stangs, the wheel wells are huge! My wheels dont even look big with my stock suspension. the only mustang I've ever seen rub had 20's on it. If you like 17's why not just keep your rims and spend the money on other mods? or just get wider bullits in the back for some fat tires?

UDTBadkarma said:
I was wondering this too, because i've never SEEN wheels rub...but then again, i've never had 18's. Thats why i asked.
265/35/18 up front and don't think about the issue anymore. The wheels don't rub.. there is the ever so slightest tire rub once in a while which does no harm to any component.

jbrown said:
...If you like 17's why not just keep your rims and spend the money on other mods? or just get wider bullits in the back for some fat tires?

Honestly not a fan of Bullits. I want the Steeda Ultra-Lights, just wish they made a 10.5" rear :rolleyes:

I have a lot of thinking to do between the wheel selection. I kind of like both wheels. Maybe i should go Corvette style and go 17" up front and 18 in the back :D j/k