170 amp fuse for a 200amp alternator?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, as said, it should be fine. If you actually pull 170 amps for the period of time required to blow a slow-burn fuse, you likely have other issues. :)

you want to run a smaller fuse than the rated output of the alt. I run a 150 amp alt and use a 125 amp fuse. If you match the fuse size (amp rating) to the alt's amp rating, then kiss your alt goodbye if it develops a problem.

Scott

CobraGT87 said:
you want to run a smaller fuse than the rated output of the alt. I run a 150 amp alt and use a 125 amp fuse. If you match the fuse size (amp rating) to the alt's amp rating, then kiss your alt goodbye if it develops a problem.

Scott
To go one step further, as I am sure Scott did, you want to use a fuse that is rated for the weakest link in the system (which can be the rating of the alternator-to-solenoid cable).
If the fuse is rated less than the rating of the alternator, but the cable is rated for less than the fuse, the fuse might not save the day.

HISSIN50 said:
To go one step further, as I am sure Scott did, you want to use a fuse that is rated for the weakest link in the system (which can be the rating of the alternator-to-solenoid cable).
If the fuse is rated less than the rating of the alternator, but the cable is rated for less than the fuse, the fuse might not save the day.

EXACTLY, I want to make dam sure if anything blows, it's just the fuse only. Don't need any melted cables or fried alternators. West Marine makes a very nice setup (what I used).

Scott