170 cid straight 6

goliath669

Nov 27, 2006
like i said i have a 170 straight 6 it has 54,000 original miles on it the intake log has carb spots for 3 1 barrel carbs i know that with one carb she made 101hp if i added the other 2 carbs and ran all 3 what kind of hp can this acheive. what other mods do you suggest ?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

first, the 101hp rating is a gross rating. net it is more like 85hp. adding two more carbs will pick up about 10-15 hp. i would add a duraspark dist from a 75-82 200/3.3L engine and hook it to a chrysler ignition box and msd blaster 3 coil. i have this combo on my 66 falcon and it works great(though i have a 2bbl carb rather than the 3x1bbl carb set up). you can also add a larger cam to the mix as well to pick a bit more power. one more thing, mill the head about .050" to pick up some compression ratio as well. these mods should get you in the 120-130ho range. as the other have stated, building a 200 will get you about 10-15hp more than what you can make with a 170. personally i would build a 250 for the street rather than a 170 or 200.

for the 200, you won't need to make any mods. I believe it is essentially the same engine with a little longer stroke. if you're talking about the 302 V-8, then there's a lot more involved.

for a 302 v-8 swap you'll need to get the v-8 spindles, motor mounts, at least an 8 inch rear end, new brakes, new 5 lug wheels, new steering linkage, new springs, and a new radiator. the 6 cyl transmission will have to be replaced with one meant for a v-8, and you'll need the v-8 throttle linkage and bellhousing. I'm not 100% positive but i think you'd also need a different drive shaft.

It sounds like a lot of parts but it's really not all that bad if you're planning on upgrading your suspension and brakes anyway.

Do we really want to encourage someone to restomod a 54K-mile '64.5?

Granted the offenhauser intake is a mod. But that's period correct!

Why not?
My Ex father in law wisdom on mustangs is:
If you bought it for 2000.00 its worth 2000.00 , If you restomod it and enjoy it after putting in another 3000.00 and you did all the safety upgrades, you are still ahead.
You will not lose any money, let the fool that downgrade's the car by putting it all back original for 20,000 or more to restore it lose the money.
It's highly doubtfull that any museum will ever want to pay big buck's for any of our mustang.
On the Shelby's, when the 67 and 68 shelbys first came out everyone complained about the original POS fiberglass, just like they do now on the fiberglass, thats available!
The only one that loses money on your decision not to restore a Mustang to original spec's are the "original parts" vendor's!
I been tracing the price of the restored 65-66 mustangs on ebay - they usually get relisted for 1/2 the value, a nicely done resto- mod with the safety upgrades will fetch more.
It made sense to me I am resto modding mine and enjoying the hell out of it! :rlaugh: