17x10.5 rear wheels. What tires?

94-302-vert

Aug 16, 2004
NE CT
I DD my car in all weather (well except snow but it has happened)... So without going to a DR I have thought about going back to a 275/40 rear and a 245/45 front on the FR500's... What are you guys running as I am getting to where I need 4 tires (again).... Right now I have the Sumitomo's that come on the AM package....

• Sponsors (?)

i would agree w/ the 295s outback atleast... 275s are a little odd-looking on a 10.5". hell, they look great on a 9in wide wheel!

if you're going to spend the money, me personally i loved my BFG KDWS when i first had my car. little pricey, but man were they good. when i get a better set of winter rims i plan on running these again

If you find yourself in snow, at all, with any tire that fits on a 10.5 inch rim, tow it and live happy with the fact that you're safe.

But as for your question, I hear the sumitomo's are alright in the rain. Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance might not be so bad for you either, and they come in a 315

If my car get stuck in the snow it is at the point that is it JUST starting to collect on the roads... basically I drive my car year round though so I also need cold temperature traction...

I run 315/35 sumitomos on my car. For the price you really can't beat these tires. They have good rain traction and I've never had problems in cold weather as well. I have driven them in the snow but like others said... I wouldn't suggest it. My car used to be my daily driver all through college in Pennsylvania so not driving in any snow wasn't really an option.

You could always get an old set of rims to run some blizzaks for the winter. I never had the $$ to do so but it definitely would be a lot safer.

I currently have 315/35 Nittos 555R's on the back of my car. Already have like 13,000 miles on them and they still arent all the way worn. My next set will be the Sumitomos though. I had those before and they lasted longer. Didnt grip for **** though.

I currently have 315/35 Nittos 555R's on the back of my car. Already have like 13,000 miles on them and they still arent all the way worn. My next set will be the Sumitomos though. I had those before and they lasted longer. Didnt grip for **** though.

Yeah... that is the problem I have with a DR and the Sumitomo's... I average 15k miles per year and buying tires each year get's old... so both of these are out...

I think I am going back to a 275/40 so I can run General UHP's again.... My last set I got over 30k on the back tires....

I don't PLAN to drive in the snow but if you drive as many days as you can in CT you eventually hit some snow...

Snow tires are not an option as I have a 4wd truck for the white stuff.... Just need a higher mileage wide tire that does not get rock hard on a 10'F day....

Very much so Nate. I've seen 245's on a 9 inch wheel and they look like the bead's about to pop at the next hard left

275 for a 9 inch wheel, 315 for a 10.5. There is no other acceptable way.