17x10.5s on a Fox Body

LukeDaddy

Feb 18, 2004
I was wondering if any of you guys out there have stuffed a 17x10.5in wheel on the back of a Fox with a 315/35/17? I have been told by some fellow stangers that if I drop the quad shock, and upgrade the lower control arms to quell axle hop that my big meats will fit. Ive already got the fronts, and I dont really want to settle for 275s, but If thats what I can fit, Ill just live with them. Any help please.. preferably from someone that has either done it or seen it done. I really dont want to go through the hassel of ordering the bigguns and then not having them work.....Thanks..

Luke

• Sponsors (?)

My friends roommate has a stock suspension fox gt and he is running 17x10.5's all the way around with 275's....I dont know about 315's, but I dont think id try to fit a 17x10.5 on a fox ever, 17x9 is plenty big, but if you did alot of moving stuff and hammering I guess you could

BlownStangGT said:
My friends roommate has a stock suspension fox gt and he is running 17x10.5's all the way around with 275's....I dont know about 315's, but I dont think id try to fit a 17x10.5 on a fox ever, 17x9 is plenty big, but if you did alot of moving stuff and hammering I guess you could

17x10.5" IN FRONT? :shrug: With wheel spacers, I hope. And god, that has to look like crap. A 9" wheel is almost too wide for the front.

I suppose a 10.5" could fit in back, i've heard it being done before. I just stuck with 17x9" all around, and I have almost NO clearnace out back. Any wider would be too wide.

My fronts aren't on yet, but I already know I'll need steering rack limiters, and I'm only running 255's up front on the same 17x9.

the only way you are going to get a 10.5 on the back is minni tub that bad boy, unless you are jacking the rear wheel up and using a 2 inch spacer on that bad boy. my 17x9's barely fit and i am running a small spacer and i had to roll the lips on my rear fenders.

Well 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me', thanks for the input guys, I guess Im stuck with 275/40s out back. My problem is that I think even with that big a tire, im gonna spin like a bitch.

Luke

LukeDaddy said:
Well 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me', thanks for the input guys, I guess Im stuck with 275/40s out back. My problem is that I think even with that big a tire, im gonna spin like a bitch.

Luke

What makes you think that? Are we talking about street tires, or for drag racing? I'm running nitto 275/40 drag radials, and they stick like glue once they're heated up. Even in the dead of winter while I was driving around on the street, I noticed a significant decrease in my ability to spin or chirp the tires in the few laps I've driven around my block with them on. I think you'll be quite happy with a 275.

And depending on your horsepower level, you'll eventually reach a point that it's not going to matter how wide a tire / wheel you stuff under there, you'll still break the tires loose. Look at the new vipers, for example. They're running what, a 335? Motor trend reported that anything more than half-throttle from a standing start lights them up.

If you're having trouble with traction, stick with the 9" wide tire, and take a good close look at your suspension. A torque arm with some nice control arms would go a long way to helping you out.

I remember seeing a lx convertable on here with 315/35/17 on the rear. It looked like he shoe horned them in but, they fit.

I have measure before and from the shock to the outside of the fender is 12". The 315/35/17 is over 12" wide so, i have no idea how they fit but they did.

I've got 17x9s with 275/40s on the back of my '89 and there is MINIMAL clearance. I get some rubbing (I believe on the inside of the tire to the inside of the wheel well) if I get sideways around a corner. I've got 1/4" spacers to install but I haven't driven the car in a few weeks so I haven't gotten around to that yet.

I'm going to install a MM panhard bar and LCAs in the not-too-distant future to keep the rear axle from moving around so much.

As far as 17x10.5s up front, I don't know how that could be pulled off. I've got 17x8s with 245/45s and they fender in front of the wheel if I turn more than 3/4 turn from center. I've heard some of you guys mention spacers up front. Would that help my problem at all?

yes there is a guy on this site who has a 7-up convertible and he has 17x10.5 03 cobra wheels with 315/35 drag radials on it. he has LOTS off suspension mods in the rear and he said something about not letting the rear end move around or something, i cant remember. he does have coil overs, control arms and many other things. try to find his post and he explains it. i would love to put 315's on my car but i think 275's are wide enough. plus i have the suspension to back it up so it hooks good now with street tires.

the cars i have seen that have the 10.5's on them were all mini tubbed.... and i have 17x9's on my car and they rab before lock when turned, if you run a spacer (with 255 40 17's) the tire will rub the fender on mycar at least.

I have 17x10 pony r’s on the back of my Fox with Nitto 315/35/17. No rub. No rolled wheel well. I got Bilstein quad shocks in place which are a lot narrower than factory quad shocks, have ARP 2” studs (think they are 2”), and a set of Baer 1/2 spacers. The spacers are no problem with the long studs, and the pony center cap actually snaps in place as well. Edge of tire even with fender well. Clears exhaust as well, even with the LX pipes that I am running with the Cobra rear valence. That’s my set up. Hope that helps you.

17x10 295 in the back. Rolled fender, some work on the inner fender to get them to clear. It took me a bit to figure it out, but they actually do rub on some bumps. I can see some marks on the tire.

With 17x9 275s, my other mustang rubbed only on the driver's side. If I'd had the ability to center the rear, I might have gotten away with it. That car had no rolled fenders and not much work, if any, on the inner fender.

Now, 17x12s with a 325. Fits no problem. Only took a minitub and shortened axles.

I have 17x10 pony r’s on the back of my Fox with Nitto 315/35/17. No rub. No rolled wheel well. I got Bilstein quad shocks in place which are a lot narrower than factory quad shocks, have ARP 2” studs (think they are 2”), and a set of Baer 1/2 spacers. The spacers are no problem with the long studs, and the pony center cap actually snaps in place as well. Edge of tire even with fender well. Clears exhaust as well, even with the LX pipes that I am running with the Cobra rear valence. That’s my set up. Hope that helps you.

Ummm, i think this thread was from 2004. I really hope he figured it out by now :nice:

Reactions: 1 user