180* Thermostat Question

Well you stated that your car feels sluggish when it is hot! lol Heres what happens.......If your MAF is cool and your sucking in cool air into the TB you will have more power....I did a test with a LMAO Turkey baster to see what temps my MAF was at after noticing that my car lost 4-5 tenths at the track after some intake mods. When I had the MAF located in the fenderwell the intake temp was at a steady 78-79 deg and outside temp was 75. When I put the MAF back into the cab with the filter in the cab after just 10 mins of idleing the MAF temp was 183 deg! OUCH! So keeping the MAF in the Engine compartment and putting the pipe and filter back into the fenderwell and I used a plastic trash can to fabricate a heat shield it dropped back to 79 deg! I can let the car idle for an hour and it will only rise 2-3 deg from there! Sucking hot engine air really robs your HP. And I proved that at the track! After the change my car regained the 4-5 thenths that it lost! Focus on drawing cold air from the fenderwell and make a heat shield for your MAF! Trust me you wont go wrong!

"ED" 02 yellow gt 1/4 12.9@103 1/8 8.22@83

• Sponsors (?)

DBMSTNG said:
not unless it was a bad t-stat. all it does is allow the coolant to circulate to the radiator sooner. so when the engine hits 180*, it opens up instead of 192*. as long as the t-stat is open at or before 192*, the car won't overheat unless something else is wrong.

It also keeps the water in the radiator longer, which in return keeps the temp. cooler.
Like the old myth of taking the t-stat out to make it run cooler....:nonono:
It will make it overheat faster, cause the water doesnt stay in the radiator long enough to cool down.